Verizon Asking Obama to Lift Incoming iPhone Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Verizon wireless lawyer.... where were you when all of Apples litigation against Samsung were filed? If you think it's so bad for consumers, why didn't you try and stop Apple from starting so many lawsuits? It's a little late to jump in the game and take sides.

This has become more of a sibling rivalry, pointing fingers, accusing the other. Both need a good whoopin.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
"...willing to take these steps despite the popularity of the Apple products."

So, it is OK to allow companies to break the law, simply because they're deemed "popular?" The whole issue has been that Apple has seen itself as being above the need to license IP, even FRAND items for which there are guidelines on what is "fair and reasonable." Even if Samsung demands the top-most portion of that "fair and reasonable" scale, it is _still on the scale_. It is all part of the conversation that most normal businesses have when developing a new product: "can we make enough money off of this after all the licensing and development costs to make this worth it?" Someone at Apple likely chimed in saying "well, if we just don't worry about licensing some items, we may be able to make more...we just pay it anyway if it goes to court."

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
The ironic thing about Samsung calling foul Apple for stealing intellectual property is that all of Samsung's mobile products are clones of Apple products. Smartphones (except for primitive blackberries) and tablets didn't exist before Apple designed them into existence. So whom is really stealing from whom?

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
The ironic thing about Samsung calling foul Apple for stealing intellectual property is that all of Samsung's mobile products are clones of Apple products. Smartphones (except for primitive blackberries) and tablets didn't exist before Apple designed them into existence. So whom is really stealing from whom?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The only reason to ask the President to overrule an ITC ruling is that the ITC ruling is correct, your lawyers have failed and that is the only way to get something illegal made legal - same as commuting a death sentence or issuing a pardon, legalised illegality, only in America where nobody is above the law apart from POTUS

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
@flexxar, Samsung made all those Apple products to start with. Apple doesn't actually make a phone, they sell a phone that Samsung manufactures albeit they are starting to distance themselves. When you can design, source and manufacture the entire product including the memory chips etc you have a huge advantage over a company that designs the look and shape of a device. See Samsung holds the patents for many things inside the Apple iPhone because they, Samsung, make it. Turn around is fair play, Apple should have never went after a company that actually makes stuff, they hold thousands upon thousands of patents. Simply put Apple needs to make its own hardware or they will have similar issues again in the future.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
@JamesSneed - "Apple doesn't actually make a phone, they sell a phone that Samsung manufactures"
Those are some interesting "facts" that you made up just now. Apple designs their products, then buys components from dozens of other companies, then pays Foxconn to put it all together and package. Samsung only made the processor for a few models. Tell me again how Samsung manufactures iphones for Apple... If you assembled your own computer from parts and just so happened to use an AMD processor, would you make that claim that AMD manufactured that computer? Because that's what you did to Apple.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_manufactures_the_iPhone

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
flexxar: "The ironic thing about Samsung calling foul Apple for stealing intellectual property is that all of Samsung's mobile products are clones of Apple products. Smartphones (except for primitive blackberries) and tablets didn't exist before Apple designed them into existence. So whom is really stealing from whom?"

Cute. In your iWorld, Apple has the best iProducts of any iProduct maker. All product are just copies, whether they came before or after Apple issued a similar product. Join the real world. The iWorld gets smaller every day. You risk being iCrushed.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
@lamorpa - An American company (Apple) creates a product that no one ever made before that changed everyone's lives forever... Another American company (Motorola) comes along and says "Hey, that sure looks profitable enough to try to copy" and they begin to make a a similar product... Then a Korean company (Samsung) comes along and says, "Hey, everyone else already did the legwork, I can totally steal their ideas". What's "Cute" is that you think a foreign company that created a copy of a copy is somehow legitimate and superior than the original product.

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this," -Steve Jobs

I own a Droid 4 and have never owned an iphone. After I realized all of this, I will be buying iphones from now on.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@flexxar: Android as an OS was originally designed in 2005 and then bought by Google, first phone with it came out in 2007; "coincidentally", first iPhone came out in 2007, w/o any history of iOS development behind it.
Who's stealing here? Do your research before re-inventing history to your liking.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
@house70 - I'm not going to argue that Android didn't exist in 2005, but it certainly did not exist in it's current form. Apple made smartphones what they are today. Iphones were released in 2007 after "3 years of development", whice pushes the start date to 2004. You like how your smartphone has a touch screen? That was Apple's idea. It's why they bought the company Fingerworks in 2005. Apple spent $150m to develop the original iphone. That would be a lot of money that they spent if it was a copy. Android released their first smartphone over a year after the release of the iphone and it looked exactly like the iphone inside and out. If android was the first to develop it, don't you think that they would also be the first to market?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
flexxar, you are really failing hard at this, aren't you.

Ericsson R380 SMartphone was a Symbian-powered touchscreen phone released in 2000. That's 7 years before the iPhone was released and 4 years before the alleged Apple development cycle.

Palm OS Treo had a touchscreen when released early 2002.

1996 saw the Nokia 9000, part of the Communicator line, which combined PDA and phone into a single device, a smart phone perhaps.

Kyocera 6035 from Palm was the first smartphone in the US released early 2001.

So basically STFU with your close-minded, fanboi rants.

The only thing Apple has ever contributed to the smartphone market, and indeed the tech world as a whole, is a truly slick user experience, and I will always praise them for that. They are VERY good at taking existing and growing technologies and crafting a mainstream, commerically-viable product and experience around it.

But they invent nothing, they have no original ideas. Name one single thing that Apple has ever done that is truly original.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
apple has been suing every company under the sun for the last decade or more. Wait they lose oh its unfair. I am sorry thats not how it works. You infringe you get banned. Apple clearly infringes on other products. Steve Jobe god rest his wicked soul has made a career at seeing whats on the market and making it slightly different and repackaging it. So please cry me a river.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
@flexxar Apple did not invent the Smartphone. Windows had a phone on the market 4 years earlier made by guess who Samsung. it was call sch-1000. Was it any good hell no. Then of course as you pointed out Blackberry. Missing Palm they had them out there too. Sony even had a smart phone 5 years before Apple even thought smartphone. Again horrid design and there own ios. Nokia had 2 smartphones the the time on the market in the late 90's both horrid in design. Apple just refined all the previous tech out there. Did Samsung infringe on apple? yes every company infringes on every other company. You can't make anything in tech without it being based on something else before it. The patent system needs to be overhauled big time.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
@LePhuronn They made a really funny commercials on how mac's are better than pcs. Never seen any commercials like that before. You know complete lies.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
@LePhuronn - Yes, Apple uses ideas from existing technology. But Apple combines all of these forms of technology to form something brand new and they were the first ones to make smartphones something that everyone could and wanted to use. Did Ford invent wheels, engines, seats...? No, they didn't even make the first car. But what they did do, is enhance the whole car experience and bring it to the average person. And to be honest, that's the only thing that matters to me. I don't care if the technology exists if it doesn't exist in my hand.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@flexxar: like other have pointed out already, Apple did not really invent anything in tech, they just used prior tech and improved on it. Examples plenty for whomever wants to pay attention. New tech is always based on existing tech, that's how it works.
Nobody is going to argue your smartphone choice, that belongs only to you, but if you're going to argue about that at least base your arguments on facts, not your fiction. You made it sound like you're only going to buy iOS devices from now on because Android is a copycat, which is blatantly untrue. Pick another reason or just keep it for yourself, nobody needs to know why you're choosing one platform vs. another. If what you're claiming were true, then you should avoid iOS, because the last couple iterations (at least) have clearly taken features from Android (notification bar, anyone? to name just one of many) and I don't recall Apple asking for Google's permission (even symbolically, because AOSP is open source). But hey, whatever, imitation is the best form of flattery.

Status
Not open for further replies.