Verizon Finally Blocking Unauthorized Tethering Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I can understand this more when they had unlimited data plans. But not that they have data caps, why do they care how I use up my allotment?

If I want to blow my 2Gb of data via a tethering, why is that different then doing so on my smartphones netflix app?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]I can understand this more when they had unlimited data plans. But not that they have data caps, why do they care how I use up my allotment?If I want to blow my 2Gb of data via a tethering, why is that different then doing so on my smartphones netflix app?[/citation]

Perhaps they have/plan to have a separate plan for data tethering.. like.. AT&T. Both companies up to no good anyway, give us our freedom back >:

G

Damn, looks like I'm going to have to get rid of my smartphone.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
They still have grandfathered in unlimited plans.

I just checked with my HTC Thunderbolt, and I'm still getting Wifi hotspot tethering via a rooted phone. Was this only a change for the iPhone?

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
It should be illegal for carriers to charge extra for tethering. Especially since virtually all data plans are limited. If I pay for that amount of data it is my right to use it however I want.

It would be the equivalent of me purchasing an internet connection for my house, but requiring me to pay an extra $20 per month to use a router to connect multiple computers.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
1. You can't "Jailbreak" an Android phone. You root it.
2. I run a rooted/rommed/overclocked Droid X with extended battery, grandfathered unlimited, and Liberty v8 without speedcap, and I've never ran into this.
3. I hate how I'm addicted to my smartphone. ^_^

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
This makes me glad to live in Korea. SK Telecom allows me to tether my Galaxy S with no additional charges.

Verizon and AT&T can go to hell.

zodiac321

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Glad to be with Sprint 4G, even though slower than LTE, no data caps and Sprint doesn't care for tethering. The store even told me to root and tether because its cheaper. Eventually used a rom (Cyanogenmod 7) and don't need any extra apps, straight from phone. AT&T just wants an excuse to buy out T-Mobile, and Verizon thinks they have the market cornered because of the Droid Line and the iPhone. If Sprint gets an iPhone, Verizon and AT&T will say goodbye to many many customers.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
+1 Sprint. I use tethering every day for my home internet connection and it is blazing fast when hooked up to wifi and still functions when running off 3g or 4g. They have been a good carrier for me since I've switched from Verizon.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]It should be illegal for carriers to charge extra for tethering. Especially since virtually all data plans are limited. If I pay for that amount of data it is my right to use it however I want.It would be the equivalent of me purchasing an internet connection for my house, but requiring me to pay an extra $20 per month to use a router to connect multiple computers.[/citation]

Believe it or not around where I live they used to disallow both wired and wireless routers on the local cable internet service. This was over 10 years ago though, but that still doesn't make it right.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
All you people gloating over Sprint are in for a RUDE awakening when Sprint gets the iPhone..lol Kiss your Unlimited plans good-bye.

Another pathetic example of US stupidity... in normal countries, no phone is tied to any particular network, and you get the SIM and the phone separately. YOU decide which network your phone "gets", and if you don't like your carrier, you don't have to jailbreak or root your phone: you just dump the SIM and get another one.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I'm a VZW customer and I can verify that their blocking (at least at this point) does not affect ROM's that have built-in tethering (rather than using a separate app). I'm using MIUI 1.8.5 and it works just fine.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So you purchase a dataplan and you wont be allowed to use that data as you see fit, amazing.

Its like saying "Sorry your purchased fuel for your car but your not allowed to drive passengers in it while driving on our fuel you paid for!" and the company then turns of the car maker banning them from adding additional seats in cars - WTF!

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Another pathetic example of US stupidity... in normal countries, no phone is tied to any particular network, and you get the SIM and the phone separately. YOU decide which network your phone "gets", and if you don't like your carrier, you don't have to jailbreak or root your phone: you just dump the SIM and get another one.[/citation]

It's not that easy when you're A) tied to a 2-year contract and can't afford the $600 unsubsidized smartphone, and B) on a CDMA network.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Another pathetic example of US stupidity... in normal countries, no phone is tied to any particular network, and you get the SIM and the phone separately. YOU decide which network your phone "gets", and if you don't like your carrier, you don't have to jailbreak or root your phone: you just dump the SIM and get another one.[/citation]
At least we don't have peasant uprisings...

Status
Not open for further replies.