Verizon iPhone Shows World Compatibility Muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My Verizon iPhone arrived yesterday. Since I have a Verizon broadband card I was eligible to pre-order it, last week. Every time I simply HOLD the phone (with ONE hand like you do when you are speaking during a NORMAL conversation) the signal goes down to one bar. I was actually shocked when I noticed this yesterday. I tried it over and over again, and it happens, like clockwork. I thought maybe my phone was defective. But the same thing happened with my friend's Verizon iPhone. I was really excited about the Verizon iPhone. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to return it. Even when I am not holding it, it gets a worse signal than my AT&T iPhone. Unbelievable. Word is slowly spreading. Come next week, this story is going to be HUGE: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/verizon-iphone-4-antenna-problems-persist-video/

G

Yawn. Doesn't really matter as long as consumers are still shafted with locked phones DESPITE BEING ON A CONTRACT.

This policy is idiotic. The consumer still has to continue paying, for example, AT&T because he's under contract. So AT&T would actually benefit if he took his network traffic elsewhere.

But AT&T is still pretending it can't unlock iPhones, even if you call and ask them to years after your contract is over.

More brilliance in the U.S.A.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
eddieroolz, time to hit up Wikipedia. UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA is CDMA technology. GSM is dying breed. All GSM networks require separate channel for voice and 3G data. Verizon has everything together, which translates into higher capacity.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Michael J[/nom]My Verizon iPhone arrived yesterday. Since I have a Verizon broadband card I was eligible to pre-order it, last week. Every time I simply HOLD the phone (with ONE hand like you do when you are speaking during a NORMAL conversation) the signal goes down to one bar. I was actually shocked when I noticed this yesterday. I tried it over and over again, and it happens, like clockwork. I thought maybe my phone was defective. But the same thing happened with my friend's Verizon iPhone. I was really excited about the Verizon iPhone. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to return it. Even when I am not holding it, it gets a worse signal than my AT&T iPhone. Unbelievable. Word is slowly spreading. Come next week, this story is going to be HUGE: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/n [...] ist-video/[/citation]

I would not be surprised if this was spam. You have only posted here once and included a link.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So how come you can't talk and use data at the same time on most CDMA phones?[/citation]
Read his comment again.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
CDMA does allow voice and data at the same time, but it looks like Verizon has chosen not to implement it so far as I've seen... We'll see how this plays out as Verizon rolls out the LTE standard.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]eddieroolz, time to hit up Wikipedia. UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA is CDMA technology. GSM is dying breed. All GSM networks require separate channel for voice and 3G data. Verizon has everything together, which translates into higher capacity.[/citation]

Both are dying breeds, LTE is to come.

jimsocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
If apple really released a phone that support all GSM bands. I just might buy one. I'm so tired of phone makers only supporting one carrier. Its BS. Especially for those who travel. Main reason why I still have a softspot for Nokia and their Pentaband phones.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So how come you can't talk and use data at the same time on most CDMA phones?[/citation]

Because they are using EV-DO rev.A, EV-DO rev.B, supports both voice and data but that would require replacing towers, as Verizon is moving to the LTE network it doesnt make sense to spend more on their old 3G network

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]Because they are using EV-DO rev.A, EV-DO rev.B, supports both voice and data but that would require replacing towers, as Verizon is moving to the LTE network it doesnt make sense to spend more on their old 3G network[/citation]

The forum comment section wont let me edit my post but I meant to say SVDO supports voice and data NOT EV-DO rev.B, While Rev.A does support it is disabled probably for good reasons.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Michael J[/nom]My Verizon iPhone arrived yesterday. Since I have a Verizon broadband card I was eligible to pre-order it, last week. Every time I simply HOLD the phone (with ONE hand like you do when you are speaking during a NORMAL conversation) the signal goes down to one bar. I was actually shocked when I noticed this yesterday. I tried it over and over again, and it happens, like clockwork. I thought maybe my phone was defective. But the same thing happened with my friend's Verizon iPhone. I was really excited about the Verizon iPhone. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to return it. Even when I am not holding it, it gets a worse signal than my AT&T iPhone. Unbelievable. Word is slowly spreading. Come next week, this story is going to be HUGE: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/n [...] ist-video/[/citation]

2/10

Obvious troll is obvious

G

It's great for Apple that they will finally have a world iPhone, but it's not like this hasn't been done. The Motorola Droid Pro is a global phone that is faster, probably free now (see http://BuyDroidPhones.com for deals), and it has a keyboard. To me, it seems like this iPhone is all hype with a large pricetag--I'll wait to see what the iPhone 5 can deliver before I spend $300 on this one.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i watched this
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110209/ts_yblog_technews/upgrade-your-life-reasons-to-hold-off-on-the-verizon-iphone
and had to laugh a 3g phone on a 4g network.
marcus it's pretty bad when even yahoo press is knockin your homeboy SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.