Verizon Teases Android Skype Users with Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
That's like introducing a bicycle to a man with no legs.

"Here's this bike, but you can't use it if you have no legs, sorry".

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I like the way when you mouse over the advertising link "3G" in the first paragraph, it hijacks and takes you away from Tom's Guide completely..... >_< And, epic fail on the Wi-Fi / 3G. Absolutely pointless...

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
this is un-news. It's not helping anyone and it only lets more people know what thiefs Verizon really are. I don't know how much Verizon is paying Skyoe but I think it's alot.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I can't find skype in the market...
It's because I live in Romania, right?

Anyway, I want skype for the text conference, I don't care about VoIP right now.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I wanted Skype to work with WIFI while I was in Ireland so I could make calls home using the internet! You have any idea how expensive it is to call from a hotel? (I assume this would have worked?)

The biggest advantage to anyone buying Android VS Iphone is less control from big brother and open source apps so we can essentially do what we want!

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
The Verizon guy told me "and the phone has Skype"
Me: "really so I can make a call where I have internet and no service"
VZW: "no it has to use our network"
Me: "So why does it have Skype, the whole point behind Skype is to make phone calls without your network"
VZW: "you can call other countries without high rates"
Me: "Wow that is useful" - extreme sarcasm

He also told me I could Tether instead of paying for the wireless access point, when I tried to tether they wanted to charge me monthly and put a ridiculously small cap on the data with extortion level penalties for data overage even though my phone has unlimited data. If anyone had service even remotely like theirs I would switch so fast their head would spin. I have friends with the other 2 big companies I regularly get asked "can I borrow your phone".

G

The author should at least research the true reasoning behind this before jumping to conclusions. Skype and Verizon reached a deal where Skype calls are set up through the 3G network, transmitted through verizon's normal voice thing (which they don't bill you for), and then sent to the other person. Skype mobile is NOT a VOIP service and uses the regular verizon network, therefore, calls over wifi will not work. Simple as that.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]This seems a little goofy, but I understand why from Verizon's standpoint. They have to protect their interests.[/citation]

They could also hire some sharks to "convince" the customers to their services. That's "protecting interests" too you know...
No, this is not protecting interests. This is market position abuse.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Got to love it... A Windows based PC isn't exactly the most open platform, but at least we can use it the way we want to...
You could always buy a Sony PSPgo and use it for Wi-Fi skype. :)
I tried that, I have to go several blocks to find a unprotected network. Oddly enough, almost everyone here in Western Canada protects their wireless now, while almost no one did only a few years back.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]This seems a little goofy, but I understand why from Verizon's standpoint. They have to protect their interests.[/citation]

Protecting the customer's interests is the best way to protect the company's interests.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Got to love it... A Windows based PC isn't exactly the most open platform, but at least we can use it the way we want to...You could always buy a Sony PSPgo and use it for Wi-Fi skype. I tried that, I have to go several blocks to find a unprotected network. Oddly enough, almost everyone here in Western Canada protects their wireless now, while almost no one did only a few years back.[/citation]
Could just be the router came with protection on. I'm noticing most company provided router/modem combo boxes are now coming with protection on by default.

jackleung

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]chonte84[/nom]Well, i'll say it, iPhone DOES have skype over 3g hahahahaha[/citation]So what? WM can do it for ages!

G

none of this helps, since worldwide android owners cannot use skype over wifi, probably because skype lack the technical expertise to develop a properly-working android skype application

Status
Not open for further replies.