Verizon Teases the Droid X: 720p Video, HDMI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have seen many comments about this "phone",including comment about the large screen size and having a 1Ghz processor; questioning its size and power. Two thoughts. First, this is a phone in name only. Functionally, it is a camera (still and video for that matter), a PDA, a gaming platform, Internet provider, social communication center (text messages of all forms), MP3 player, and God knows what else. I do not know what to call it as "smart phone" hardly does it justice. It may be the epitome of what has been called a convergent device. But just a phone, hardly. Thus the large size and processor. Second, Verizon has a large variety of phone devices some quite small. We are blessed with many options this being one for those who might desire such. If all you want is a phone and some texting, other devices might be better. It is nice though to have so many options though.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
My EVO4G fits perfectly fine in my pockets. To give you an idea I'm 6'3 with a 33 size waist jeans so, and it fits perfect in the hand too, though texting while in the car is a tad difficult. I dont like verizon overall so this phone is out of the question.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Please let me have my choice of a large screen smartphone. The market is all small, smaller, or smallest. Ultra thin, ultra mini.

I want something I can run a spreadsheet on and maintain a fuel log, something I can read an email on with more than half a sentence on screen, and something that I can jot a good to-do list on with a stylus.

So, to those who say "big, ugly, and it does more than just call" - well, you guys have all the choice you want already. Let us other guys have at least a couple of choices.

Now if only they'd follow the dual battery for hot swapping option that some laptops used in the past, I'd be really happy.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Multi-touch keyboard? WTF does that mean? Please tell me they aren't putting another stupid slide out keyboard on this device.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Multi-touch keyboard? WTF does that mean? Please tell me they aren't putting another stupid slide out keyboard on this device.[/citation]
I think they mean it will have multiple points of interaction and will allow for the swype keyboard.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have an EVO and the large size is fine. Its thin and thats really what you feel in your pocket. On your belt....well thats another story. But the phone on the hip is pretty dorky. So you old dudes, you need to stop.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Ardy[/nom]Wish it was a world phone! Too bad Verizon does not make most the smartphone a world phone.[/citation]
Verizon doesn't use GSM like the rest of the world does.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
1) 8 megapixel camera on tiny crappy phone optics that make no sense, except for marketing purposes.
2) 720p "HD video" on tiny crappy phone optics, that make no sense, except for marketing purposes.
3) The "HDMI" thing. I guess it also sells better with it.

To summarize: usefulness < buzzwords, phones are made to sell better, not to perform better.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Please let me have my choice of a large screen smartphone. The market is all small, smaller, or smallest. Ultra thin, ultra mini.I want something I can run a spreadsheet on and maintain a fuel log, something I can read an email on with more than half a sentence on screen, and something that I can jot a good to-do list on with a stylus.So, to those who say "big, ugly, and it does more than just call" - well, you guys have all the choice you want already. Let us other guys have at least a couple of choices.Now if only they'd follow the dual battery for hot swapping option that some laptops used in the past, I'd be really happy.[/citation]

My Blackberry Bold 9700 does all that except the hot-swap batteries. Plus I can browse / edit files such as spreadsheets securely on the network at work rather than relying on backing them up off my device. As to battery life, I left a Bold on my desk on thursday evening. It's monday morning here and it was still working and connected to the office wi-fi. For data connections to a laptop I use a usb lead as they don't take up any room and charge at the same time as working as a tether...

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]djcoolmasterx[/nom]I don't want it to play HD, the screen is small, you can't tell the difference. I want better battery life.[/citation]
It doesn't play hd on it's own screen, it shoots hd video and has hdmi out. that way, when you shoot video on your phone, you can play it on your big screen hd tv and it will still look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.