Verizon to Ditch Unlimited Data Plans With 4G LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Looks like a continued movement to screw us people who are up with the times and actually know how to use there smartphones to their fullest extent. Not having unlimited plans is going to blow severely.

G

such liars .... verizon hasnt had a a actual unlimted data plan in over 3 yrs ... they say unlimted but fine print says 5 gb. thats why i dropped ur sorry A$$e$$

G

What do you think of metered data plans? Let us know in the comments below.

I think it will work about as well as Time Warner's plan to cap monthly bandwidth at 40 gb. And unlike the regional monopolies enjoyed by many high speed ISPs, phone service is generally more competitive. If Verizon decides to cap, then it's goodbye Verizon, hello Sprint.

Verizon has better coverage in my area, but I'll take less than perfect service over BS policies any day of the week.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I was almost ready to jump on the smartphone bandwagon, but I sure won't if I have to pay for a variable amount of bandwidth. I imagine I wouldn't use the online features too much if I have to worry about going over my limit.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
What good is a faster service if they dont want you to be doing traffic intensive tasks. If all I wanted was texting and email, I would be waisting my money on a faster speed.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Good, let those leechers pay more for bandwidth. I would rather not pay the full $30/mo for a data plan of which I rarely use more than 200 MB/mo. and have never used more than 500mb/mo. If they want unlimited, sell it to them for $99/mo and let me pay $15/mo for a 500Mb/mo plan.

For those that whine about the limits, I really doubt you know how hard it is to actually use more than 1GB/mo on your phone (*without* tethering to a PC)

edec

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Quote: "What do you think of metered data plans?"

Archaic, inefficient, wasted opportunity, money grabbing.

Here in Sweden, one of our major networks Telia are launching their 4G service imminently and have done the sensible thing – it’s primarily being launched for data, with unlimited plans, aimed at power users / businesses.

G

Whichever company offers the unlimited data plan will prevail. Ultimately, consumer have been screwed by Phone companies soo often that they would be drawn to a plan that allows them to feel the phone companies can't screw them anymore.

ljport78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Those that think this is a good idea don't realize that the cheapest data plan offered will still probably be $30 after the change.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Verizon and ATT are the same company. It's just sibling rivalry. All this bogus lawsuits are just them playing us as fools saying they aren't monopolies as if they are competitors.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Phone carriers are taking their greedy habits with them as the world's mobile companies shift from "Cell Service Providers" to "Mobile ISP's", which is the worst possible thing that could happen.

Then again, the people that scream ZOMG I WANT UNLIMITED DATA are the same uneducated, selfish heathens who think they're owed the world, with nary a care nor regard for anyone else.

And don't get me started on the kind of infrastructure you'd need to support a wireless, broadband network to feed the sheer number of users it's going to have to.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Phone carriers are taking their greedy habits with them as the world's mobile companies shift from "Cell Service Providers" to "Mobile ISP's", which is the worst possible thing that could happen.

Then again, the people that scream ZOMG I WANT UNLIMITED DATA are the same uneducated, selfish heathens who think they're owed the world, with nary a care nor regard for anyone else.

And don't get me started on the kind of infrastructure you'd need to support a wireless, broadband network to feed the sheer number of users it's going to have to.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]edec[/nom]Quote: "What do you think of metered data plans?"Archaic, inefficient, wasted opportunity, money grabbing.Here in Sweden, one of our major networks Telia are launching their 4G service imminently and have done the sensible thing – it’s primarily being launched for data, with unlimited plans, aimed at power users / businesses.[/citation]

What about cost though?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Use more, pay more. What's hard to understand about that????

Where they set the tiers in the pricing plans will affect whether or not anyone should feel screwed.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Since their "unlimited" data plans are anything but, this means they want to charge people for for every byte instead. Gotta love "marketing!" It's just ways of making more money off of the chumps for less service and hoping they won't notice.

PostmanPat

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I don't see a problem in tiering... I'd be interested in a data plan for occasional use if it was say $10/mo for 100Mb, I know I wouldn't use it much so $30 isn't worth it to me. They could still offer an unlimited plan for maybe $50.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
You know. I don't even have a cell phone. I get along just fine without it.

It boggles my mind why people want to shell out $100 dollars a month for these "services." It's nice to stay in touch with people. It's to the point where its becoming an accepted cultural addiction. People who use food stamps to purchase their food and stuff come through my line with droids, iphones, and other smartphones. Then they cry about how they don't have enough on their foodstamps to purchase everything they want. (This isn't everyone just most of the more selfish ones).

This is a sick backwards world where we are living. H.G. Wells said our fears would kill us. I don't think that's quite the case. If anything our addictions and wants will kill us.

Status
Not open for further replies.