Verizon to Launch Own App Store, Eyes Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be a good thing. Perhaps we can actually get some nice apps besides the standard junk found with the existing store. The pricing will be about the same I will bet; Overall I say it would be a step up not down.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
do we really need more software on our phones? more to the point... how many appz are really worth buying... in so far as it being used with any sort of frequency? 5? 10 at the most? why do we need stores for this?

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Verizon has a terrible habit of locking down systems. I like being able to run Java apps or downloading from the internet. And this won't spur development as its Just a market place and not an sku. Verizon sells too many different types of phones.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I enjoy verizon's reliable service but they're nazis when it comes to what the user is able to do on their phone.

I miss the days when I could use any MP3 as a ringtone. It's ridiculous to charge people another $3 for a ringtone when they already own the rights to the music. Technology moves backwards when corporate greed stands in the way.

Mercy... you can make a ringtone from any song/sound clip in existence and use it for a ringtone. free. All that is required is the usb->phone connection and some free software.

What I do is:

Run Audacity in the background, recording sounds played through my computer while playing the track via itunes. Next I trim the track to length (30sec is normally fine) fade in, fade out, and amplify until the waves reach near the top of the graph (any more and you will get distortion). Run BitPim and put the clips in your ringtones/sounds directory.

I have never bought a ringtone yet.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Good that Verizon wants to compete with the apps. I hope it will do better than their all 15 apps that are priced at $20 a piece that are not really worth using

People forget what made the app store of apple great, good apps for a good price

G

GigaOm this week reports that the carrier has plans for its own app store and will host a July 28 event to try and drag in some developers.

By dragging in they mean Verizon will kidnap App Store Devs and force them by gunpoint.

There is no freaking way I am touching this stuff, compared to Verizon, Apple looks like a saint with how they would handle an App Store.

You should look at it from a positive perspective. Let us say that verizon is even more picky then apple about what apps to allow. All three parties would still win. Consumers would get a greater variety of apps to use then they now have. Verizon would get its foot in the door so to speak and generate more positive feedback; This might also be verizon preparing for more touch-sensitive smartphones in the future. The developers that slip through verizon's filter would have less competition (then they would in apples store), therefore, higher profits. Also keep in mind that verizon seems to charge a few dollars more for apps; Devs might be able to cut a deal to make more per-download then they would with apple. Bad for Consumers if that happened, but if they keeped the prices in line with the standard verizon-created downloadable crap.. people will pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.