Verizon to Launch Unlimited Skype 3G Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
SWEET. Now to just get everyone I know on Verizon, and to get Skype Mobile on it...

Are there unlimited calling plans to normal devices using Skype? I know Skype-to-Skype is free but what about Skype-to-normal-phone?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Great now maybe if i get a call on a cellphone it wont sound like shit, although part of that is how smartphones are designed and part of it is how shitty wireless sound quality is.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
WOW, this really changes the game for carriers.
[citation][nom]scryer_360[/nom]Are there unlimited calling plans to normal devices using Skype? I know Skype-to-Skype is free but what about Skype-to-normal-phone?[/citation]
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/subscriptions/uscanada/
Apparently it's less than $5 a month with no contract.

setipollux

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Wait a minute... I have been using Skype on my Windows mobile phones with ATT & VZW for years... How can this be new? You go to Skype's website, download the version for your smartphone, and bingo! I have always had Skype's 3.99 a month "Skype-out" account as well. I can call anyone (mobile, land-line and Skype), just cannot receive incoming calls from non-skype users as this would cost like 15.99 a month or so. None the less, 16 bucks is sweet for all the minutes you want... Am I wrong here, or did I miss something? Is VZW just adding the app to their select smartphones?

setipollux

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Wait a minute... I have been using Skype on my Windows mobile phones with ATT & VZW for years... How can this be new? You go to Skype's website, download the version for your smartphone, and bingo! I have always had Skype's 3.99 a month "Skype-out" account as well. I can call anyone (mobile, land-line and Skype), just cannot receive incoming calls from non-skype users as this would cost like 15.99 a month or so. None the less, 16 bucks is sweet for all the minutes you want... Am I wrong here, or did I miss something? Is VZW just adding the app to their select smartphones?

setipollux

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Skype is even on the PSPgo. =)
Useful little thing. Too bad the PSPgo doesn't have 3G. Would also be nice if my PSN account was linked to my Skype account (for billing).

I'd ditch normal calling features completely if I get could get assured wireless net over the bulk of the country (Canada) with a reasonable data plan. $15/month for Skype, and $50/month for a data plan. That's a lot better than $100/month many pay for their cell phone plans (heavy users such as my father), and with a wicked data plan to boot.

Now I'm even more convinced to get one of these new phones with a 720 AMLOED screen and a 1GHz CPU. Now I just need to find ~$800 laying around to buy it...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Well, wait a minute. It's not exactly free. A customer would have to sign up for some sort of monthly plan with Verizon.[/citation]

They would charge you by the kilobyte instead of by the minute.

What I'm thinking is that there wouldn't be a connection fee (since you're always connected), but the per KB charge would be more.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Skype has been available on WM 3G phones for quite a while. You can either use WiFi or 3G depending on your phone capabilities.
Almost all other phones have Skype Lite or iSkoot application support already. Both apps do not use data plan, but connect using regular circuit switched call by dialing a local fixed number. Number comes as part of your unlimited Skype subscription. If you put SkypeOut number as one of MyFav - you have unlimited calling.
I have not seen Skype application for Blackberry that works over 3G or WiFi. Skype closed beta for BB does not have data capability either. It simply dials out local number. If anyone knows of any way to use WiFi or 3G with Skype on BB do tell.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Same here setipollux.. Skype Mobile since my WM 2003 phone. It even worked back when ATT had that unlimited data for GoPhones (been using unlocked phones) for $15/month.. Great Skype to Skype connections on 3G here in Seattle. Worked well with Skypeout too. Now, i've been using it over 3G on ATT's unlimited MEdiaNet.

This is late Verizon.

G

What about video??? When will Verizon Droid support skype-to-skype video calls using its built-in camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.