Verizon's Unlimited 3G Data Users Get Throttled Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well, although I still firmly believe that their network should be upgraded BEFORE congestion becomes an issue (I know they can afford it with how much service costs these days), it's certainly a step in the right direction compared to AT&T. Then again, it's not hard to treat your customers better than AT&T does...

dullawolf

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
best i ever got for download/upload speeds on verizon's 3g was 2.25 down/1 up and that was in a tiny town in mid michigan. besides that, i am lucky to get 800/400

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Why do people keep believing the lie that "bandwidth is a limited resource"?

It's too bad the FCC can't get network neutrality rules onto mobile networks, but they don't seem to be interested in protecting consumers. Yes, I understand that carriers oversell their networks. But what I don't see as fair are the priorities- a user is a user is a user therefore the speeds should be shared equally IF the network somehow gets legitimately clogged after which the carrier should be spending more money.

uuicked

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Anyone in here use Pandora? I just check my phone, between Jan 15 to Feb 15 I used 1.59 GBs of data just for Pandora alone. Another 184 MBs for Facebook, 161 MB's for the browser. That month alone i used 2.14GB's. Now I probably was only throttled for the last day IF at all but I'm still outraged that I need to now monitor my usage. I'm trying to figure this out, loyal long time customer (15 years), thus grandfathering me into avoiding the tiered pricing, and I could have my speed lowered below a customer who has been with Verzion for months? Using the "Highway" example let me try and explain how I see it. Say I have to use a Turnpike every day for work, i go out and purchase the EZ Pass to pay monthly instead of per use. Now say to minimized rush hour congestion the turnpike builds a bypass that only NON EZ Pass users can travel down. The loyal customer has to take the slow route but the random Joe Schmoe gets to have a better experience? Better plan, spend the money to build a wider road or make everyone go the same speed during those rush hours. You can't possible think it's fair to allow Joe Schmoe to weave through traffic to get ahead of the dedicated customer base. Verizon, fire your college interns and higher real employees before I take my family plan elsewhere!

dlochinski

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I feel sad for the poor users that are stuck on Verizon 3G, LTE is definitely nice to have, plus you can do little workarounds to get those under unlimited plans, and I haven't seen throttling yet for that!

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Has anyone grandfathered into the unlimited 3G data plan had experience with upgrading to LTE? We were initially told we could keep it, but, from the article, it sounds as though they're separating 3G and 4G plans now?

I've been holding onto my original DX for a couple years for decent battery life on LTE. That wait should be almost over with Qualcomm Krait chips, but if I have to settle for a 2GB plan...

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
@andune
I just recently in January switched from the original Droid to the Droid Maxx with 4G. I kept my unlimited plan no hassle. They did ask if I wanted to upgrade to a 5GB plan though. I politely declined.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]Lol how can they call it unlimited if they throttle speeds?[/citation]
They probably mean "unlimited throttling".

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dlochinski[/nom]I feel sad for the poor users that are stuck on Verizon 3G, LTE is definitely nice to have, plus you can do little workarounds to get those under unlimited plans, and I haven't seen throttling yet for that![/citation]

I'd just assume use 3G myself. I have a 4G LTE phone, but I have an app that allows me to turn my phone to 3G. 99% of the time I'm using 3G. The only time I use 4G is if I am planning to download something large.

The reason I do this is that with 4G, I only get 1 days use, and even a little less if I use navigation too much, but with 3G, my battery lasts over 2 days.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Verizon is in competition with AT&T, who can be more evil.[/citation]

I'm not sure how this is evil in the slightest, at least in Verizon's case. They both have limited resources which they sell to their customers. If they run out of bandwidth, they have to do something. In which case, they throttle their most greedy users, the ones using the most data. When they no longer have troubles keeping up with the data needs of their customers, they remove the throttling and life goes on.

What are they expected to do?

I can see how AT&T's plan to throttle and keep throttling their customers until the end of their billing system can be viewed as evil. If they have the resources available at a later time, there is no good reason not to let them use it.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
This seems reasonable even though, on the surface, it seems to favor Verizon more than the customer (which to many is completely unfair and wrong). I think we all know this is reasonable though some will whine anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.