Very slow laptop, even in normal tasks! How to fix it? Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1EH

theRTT

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Hello,

My laptop is very slow, it sometimes takes even 10 seconds to finally open the start menu..
I've re-installed windows 10, clean version, but that didn't help.

Here is a link to the specs:
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/382061/toshiba-satellite-l50-a-1eh/specificaties/

Does anyone know how to fix it?
Please help!

Thanks!

Solution
4GB of RAM isn't that much anymore, so I agree that an upgrade should help too.

To know what RAM you need, you should take a look inside your laptop and check for the following:

- How many RAM slots are used? Is one free?
- What RAM is currently installed? Note down the product ID (should be printed on a small label on each RAM DIMM module).

If all DIMM slots are used, you should completely replace all DIMMs with a new kit that has 8 or even better, 16GB. In that case you should have a look at what speed the currently installed RAM runs at (e.g. DDR3-1333, -1600, -1866; DDR4-1866, -2166, -2400), and mae sure the new RAM is designed to run at the same speed.
If not all slots are occupied, you could also just add more DIMM modules of...

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
A SSD would make the system quite a bit faster I guess, since your model only has a slow 5400rpm HDD.

Since you've reinstalled Windows already and the problem persists even on a "clean" Windows, it can't be a software problem and the only other thing you could do is having a look at CPU temperatures and clock speeds (e.g. using HWinfo). If CPU is consistently above 90°C and/or the speed stays below 2.4 GHz all of the time, you should open your laptop and remove any dust inside it.
And, if you're well-versed with computer hardware, you could also try replacing thermal paste on CPU and GPU.

theRTT

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

The temperatures are fine.

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
4GB of RAM isn't that much anymore, so I agree that an upgrade should help too.

To know what RAM you need, you should take a look inside your laptop and check for the following:

- How many RAM slots are used? Is one free?
- What RAM is currently installed? Note down the product ID (should be printed on a small label on each RAM DIMM module).

If all DIMM slots are used, you should completely replace all DIMMs with a new kit that has 8 or even better, 16GB. In that case you should have a look at what speed the currently installed RAM runs at (e.g. DDR3-1333, -1600, -1866; DDR4-1866, -2166, -2400), and mae sure the new RAM is designed to run at the same speed.
If not all slots are occupied, you could also just add more DIMM modules of the exact same model to upgrade :)

Solution