Solved! Very Slow Remote

FriboRage

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I have a Vizio Sv420M connected through a Motorola DVR cable box supplied by the cable company.

So basically the situation is after any button press, there is a very long lag time before you can press a button again.

Changing channels, you press channel up/down and tells channel changes, the channel/program info comes up on screen and the remote is functionless. Then once that info goes off-screen (3-5 seconds), the remote is usable again. If you’re trying to go several channels, it takes a long time.

If you try to change the channel by using number buttons, the first button press works, but again, you can’t press any more buttons until the screen clears. Which means, for example, and teen channels will send you to channel 1, and 20’s channels will send you to channel 2, because only the first button press counts.

Same for volume, if you volume up/down, the volume number comes up on the screen, and you can’t adjust the volume again or change the channel, or bring up any menus until that volume display clears... then it’s all good again.

If I press the menu button, the menu comes up and the remote again becomes useless until the menu goes off screen. Which means any settings I want to get into need to be edited by the front buttons on the dvr box. Which, the buttons work fast and flawlessly on the front of the dvr box.

This is for my mom at her house, trying to get this worked out for her. Thanks!

Solution
Can't they troubleshoot the problem remotely? A 2-3 week wait time is insane. Should be the next day. Can you have them send your Mom a replacement cable box and remote so you can hook it up when you can get there?

FriboRage

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
Right, but to have someone come out in 2-3 weeks sometime between 8am and 8pm on a day I have to work isn’t the greatest solution.

So I’m sure there’s something here that’s malfunctioning, software or hardware, and I was hoping someone who knows more about tv and dvr equipment might have seen this, understand better what’s going on.