vga card docking

jaguarskx

Champion
You have a rather old laptop which means it does not have a Thunderbolt 3 port which did not exist back then.

While it is possible to use a PCIe adapter which connects to the mini-PCIe port that is typically occupied by a wifi card, you should be aware that the mini-PCIe port only has 1 PCIe lane which means the GPU will have very limited bandwidth. A quadro GPU would be severely limited by a single PCIe lane.

Jun 11, 2018
Hi,
my laptop is HP Pavlion g4-2040TX / SN. 5CD2235F8G / Product No. B6U20PA#AB4 / PCID. 0796100000205110000620100.
I prefer to use quadro VGA Card between 6 or 8 GB, my purpose is for enhance rendering speed in Lumion (graphics rendering & animation video). Im not so familiar with laptop/pc hardwares, so please advice me how and where to get the compatible docking egpu for my laptop.
Thanks...

Best option would get a PC with a graphics card.

eGPU would be possible with thunderbolt connector, which your laptop doesn´t provide
or miniPCIe if you don´t need WIFI

nontheless the bandwidth you need would be bottlenecked

Jun 11, 2018
Well, if that eGPU need to cennect to my wifi port, then probably I have to get a wifi adaptor to solve this problem.
I just not sure which type and where to buy those eGPU + vga card + PSU which compatible to my unit

jaguarskx

Champion
You have a rather old laptop which means it does not have a Thunderbolt 3 port which did not exist back then.

While it is possible to use a PCIe adapter which connects to the mini-PCIe port that is typically occupied by a wifi card, you should be aware that the mini-PCIe port only has 1 PCIe lane which means the GPU will have very limited bandwidth. A quadro GPU would be severely limited by a single PCIe lane.

hang-the-9

Titan

If you don't care if you use a laptop or a desktop, I would sell your laptop, and put the money from that and the money you would have spend on the video card for a newer desktop setup. A newer i5 8th gen CPU with 6 cores or one of the AMD CPUs would get you better results than trying to hang a video card off your laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 6
T Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 2
thedonquixotic Laptop Tech Support 5
N Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 3
I Laptop Tech Support 6