VIDEO: Boeing's Advanced Tactical Laser; Pew

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
If that laser can set on fire a piece of metal with such precision, imagine what that thing can do with enemy soldiers. Forget about body armor, because that won't protect you from an invisible flamethrower!
Now I will carry a reflective umbrella with me just in case.

togenshi

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Im wondering....does a mirror reflect the laser beam? Cause the last thing you want is some smart ass to get a huge mirror and redirect the laser beam towards the plane's wing and igniting a multi-million dollar object into a ball of flames...

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]togenshi[/nom]Im wondering....does a mirror reflect the laser beam? Cause the last thing you want is some smart ass to get a huge mirror and redirect the laser beam towards the plane's wing and igniting a multi-million dollar object into a ball of flames...[/citation]

Yes and no. Mirror's don't actually reflet ALL of the light. So, a very powerful laser can melt a mirror in no time. Also, a mirror won't reflect a laser back at it's source unless it's angle is 90, and who is capable of such precision WHEN AN EFFIN GIANT FLYING LASER IS BEING FIRED AT HIM!!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I doubt that was fired from an aircraft.It's too steady and such a small target area.[/citation]Yes it was fired from an aircraft. That's what's so freaking amazing about this demonstration. Aiming at a 1-2 foot square area and maintaining the target in a less than 6in diameter (measurements roughly judging from the video). I want to see the engine block of that vehicle. It doesn't take much molten metal in a combustion chamber to lock the entire engine up.

Status
Not open for further replies.