Video card repair cost - Lenovo y470p

arash_illusive

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hello,
I have to send my laptop to Lenovo for graphic card repair (AMD HD 7690m).
Unfortunately the warranty is voided. I wonder if anyone has an estimation of the price? I am trying to figure out if it worth the money or not, since the laptop itself is pretty new with high performance.
Thanks

Solution
Try going to Intel's website and install their current drivers for the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. It sounds a bit strange, but I have read a couple of instances where the Y470 would totally stop recognizing the GT 550m, thus relying solely on the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. After installing the latest graphic driver from Intel the problem was more or less resolved for many people who had that issue.

I actually recently encountered that same issue. Starting around mid-November the GT 550m simply stopped working. I know it was not due to overheating because the last time I've played a game on it was back around August. I downloaded a gadget called GPU Shark which monitors the temp and it never went above 70C (to the best of my...

arash_illusive

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
It started with blue screen problem and then the driver problem. It could not recognize the hardware anymore.
I started to switch into the intel HD onboard card, but after a while that one stopped too. Anytime after the windows load, the blue screen error appears.
So I only can load the windows into the safemode (with no VGA)

Try going to Intel's website and install their current drivers for the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. It sounds a bit strange, but I have read a couple of instances where the Y470 would totally stop recognizing the GT 550m, thus relying solely on the Intel HD 3000 graphic core. After installing the latest graphic driver from Intel the problem was more or less resolved for many people who had that issue.

I actually recently encountered that same issue. Starting around mid-November the GT 550m simply stopped working. I know it was not due to overheating because the last time I've played a game on it was back around August. I downloaded a gadget called GPU Shark which monitors the temp and it never went above 70C (to the best of my knowledge) when I was playing games.

I've installed Intel's latest driver in December, and it revived my GT 550m. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose.

Solution

arash_illusive

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I'm downloading the driver now to see if I am able to install the driver. For the y470p, the problem is the software switchable graphics of AMD (so there is no hardware switch anymore). I am not sure if it lets me to install the driver directly and not through the catalyst package.

All current Intel laptops with switchable graphics will have two graphic drivers. One for the Intel HD 3000 / HD 4000 and one for the discrete graphics card. In a perfect world they should not interfere with each other. And in the real world they usually don't. You should be able to directly install Intel's graphic driver.

arash_illusive

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Since I couldn't load the windows to install the driver, I've changed the graphic option on the BIOS from "Switchable Graphics" to "UMA" (that I have no idea what is it!). Now I am working with the Intel with no problem.

eventually I have to get that fixed since I need the VGA for After Effects and my animation softwares, but for now on at least I have my computer back into the road again :D and anything under 300$ would be reasonable for the repair cost I believe.

Thanks jaguarskx, it helped a lot \,,/

So it wasn't able to resolve the issue with your Radeon? Hmm... that's a shame. Maybe this solution only works with nVidia chip?

Have you tried uninstalling the Catalyst drivers? Then reinstalling them? Go to Lenovo's website and download the most recent Radeon drivers.

viperscape

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I have the exact same problem. I think it's a major issue as I read around and other people with the same cards have this issue. I tried all the drivers I can manage to install, multiple operating systems too (7 64bit and 8 64bit) My best bet was to disable the Radeon in the device manager, that way the Intel can run freely and deal with all of the 3d. Which is a shame because it's slow. My computer is under warranty and Lenovo told me that they have no intentions on fixing it unless I pay them hundreds of dollars. Interestingly, Furmark is able to read the temperature of the idle GPU when the card is enabled, but that's about it. Anything more and the computer crashes. I'm tempted to try an Ubuntu install but I doubt a different OS will solve things.