Video Chat Apparently Illegal on Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I blame the airline if their manual really says no two-way communication with the ground and yet they allow wifi. How uninformed can you be?

On the other hand, I consider it to be the flight attendant's job to follow the rules they are given. I'd actually say props to her for knowing her stuff to such detail...despite the obvious contradictions in the policy.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Paranoia at it's best!
Why allow ANY communication (including Wi-Fi) for that matter? Take it all back and if passengers don't sit quietly on their hands throw them out of the plane!
I'm pretty sure that if the passenger was to use the chat (typing) feature instead of the audio chat, the attendant would not have been the wiser.
Also, see what happens if you try to use a GPS device on a plane; even if it's only a receiver of satellite signals and not a transmitter, they will still treat you like you have just activated a tracking device.
And, as usual,, the most ignorant people (even flight attendants) are the most vocal in supporting stupid statements.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yea, this is pretty silly. Allowing Wi-Fi on a plane is just asking for trouble. Especially if they are concerned with National Security. For that matter you could easily get a VoiP wifi enabled phone and do your dirty work.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Right, because ruling out video jihad prevent terrorist from doing things like "At 11 o'clock commence operation Mohamed loves Jihad"

Nothing like risking your terrorist intent with traceable and monitor-able video chat.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I can understand why they would not want a bandwidth hog, like streaming video chat, but honestly you can't point at something in a manual and say it's illegal. It's against the rules but not illegal.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]4ILY45[/nom]How in hell is that possible?? The terrorist threatening everyone on the plane via video chat? LOL[/citation]

Crash this plane now. I have a gun down here on the ground.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Stupid or not, at the end of the day it is the airline's policy. It is their planes and they decide who does what. If you do not like it go with another airline. Same thing they have done with the body scanners. If you want to fly you have to go through one, if you refuse you can take the bus...
Freedom seems to become a thing of the past. All those hours spent on Half Life and Left 4 Dead will apparently pay off in the near future!

weepee

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
i don't see what the big deal is here. its the airlines offering the wifi service, so they can make up whatever rules they want. if you don't like their rules, then don't use the service they provide you. people will complain about anything these days.

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
There is alot of stupidity on airplanes, mostly steming from a dramatic lack of knowlege from everyone operating the plane.

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Don't they realize that a cellphone (two way communication) was the reason the whitehouse was not hit on 9/11. So they infact are enacting policy that encourages terrorist activity.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
"two way devices" prohibited from contacting the ground - yeah right, except for the airlines designated credit card phone, which charges you a ridiculous fee per minute, and likely goes to line the airlines own pockets!

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Don't allow WIFI at all!!!

All you have to do is visit www.set-bomb-off-now.com If you get the 404 error, don't blow yourself up yet!

There is a nice selection of Error Codes to use.
Don't show films - When the film get to X part, everyone stand up and take over the plane.

Gas everyone on the plane and don't let them wake up till you've landed? Save money of drinks and food that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.