Question Video Editing and Data Analytics Laptop

Aug 10, 2019
Hey guys, I have been researching extensively because, before a couple days ago, I did not know much about computers, especially the specs. I want to make sure I get a great, affordable laptop that can handle both video editing and data analytics. I'll be using Linux one way or another. If it comes pre-configured with Linux, all the better.

1. What is your budget?
$1000-1500. I'm willing to go higher if the increased cost will positively impact my work, but I don't imagine it'd be necessary.

2. What is the size of the laptop that you are considering?
The larger the screen, the better. Preferably 15in+

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I will regularly use this for video editing, so I'd like at least 1080p.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not that important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No, not at all. I won't be using this for gaming. I still don't want to deal with overheating issues though.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'll be using this for data analytics projects as well. I'd like 16GB ram and absolutely nothing below 8GB.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
For engineering, a lot of memory or ram is needed i think? University recommends that the hard drive is at least 128 GB, most laptops past this greatly it seems. I heard SSD is worth the investment also.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I have no idea, honestly. The sheer number is overwhelming.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I need it to last a few years. My current laptop is 10 months old and absolute trash. The one before that lasted about two years and got the job done, but was definitely cheap. The one before it, a Compaq CQ57 that managed surprisingly well, lasted 6 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I'm not concerned about this.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I absolutely do not want Apple.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
N/A

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop General Discussion 2
altertrail Laptop General Discussion 0
7malligk Laptop General Discussion 0
sidspark Laptop General Discussion 0
D Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 11