Video editing laptop decision narrowed down to 2! Please help!!!!

woodystyle777

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm about to go to fry's hopefully tomorrow to purchase one of these laptops.

1. MSI GE72VR Apache Pro-027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154298

2. MSI GS73VR Stealth Pro-025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154294

My uses:

Hardcore filmmaking. Editing 4k video in premiere pro, compositing in after effects and nuke, 3d rendering in blender and cinema 4d (hopefully maya). I may play some games but I want a hollywood head chopper! Im a desktop guy but im currently an OTR truck driver so I need a beefy mobile monster.

I'm leaning towards the Apache because double the ram (2133 vs. 2400 on the Stealth Pro) and SSD upfront. It supposedly has an IPS screen vs. a TN screen on the Stealth Pro, which I hear is more desirable for video editing because of color fading.

The stealth pro does have a thunderbolt 3 port which might be nice for larger projects.

While I'm doing small projects with friends already, I've just started 3d modeling and it may be awhile before I attempt massive lengthed projects. Besides at that point in time I'll probably build a seriously F@*#^ up desktop so it may not matter.

What says you mates?

-WooDy

Solution
Yeah that one can be a bit tough up front.

For the memory, I don't know if you'll really noticed the difference. Assuming the memory in both is running around CAS 15 your talking about the difference of 14 nanoseconds vs 12.5 nanoseconds. If the 2400mhz RAM is clocked in at CAS 16, then we're taking about 14ns vs 13.3ns. In either case I don't know if you'll notice the difference. So I'd say this is a draw in terms of speed. The Apache is cheaper with double the RAM, so I'd lean towards that.

Where I think you will notice the difference is in the panels. For color correct projects, the IPS panel is going to give you better colors. So I'd say go Apache.

The Apache also gives you Bluetooth on its WiFi chip. So a win there.

The...

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah that one can be a bit tough up front.

For the memory, I don't know if you'll really noticed the difference. Assuming the memory in both is running around CAS 15 your talking about the difference of 14 nanoseconds vs 12.5 nanoseconds. If the 2400mhz RAM is clocked in at CAS 16, then we're taking about 14ns vs 13.3ns. In either case I don't know if you'll notice the difference. So I'd say this is a draw in terms of speed. The Apache is cheaper with double the RAM, so I'd lean towards that.

Where I think you will notice the difference is in the panels. For color correct projects, the IPS panel is going to give you better colors. So I'd say go Apache.

The Apache also gives you Bluetooth on its WiFi chip. So a win there.

The Apache has a larger SSD + HDD upfront. They both look like they're using SATA based M.2 drives so no real difference in speeds. So I'd say the Apache gets the win there.

The only real disadvantage the Apache has over the Stealth is that they went with a USB 3.1 type C connector instead of a Thunderbolt 3 connector. Now the question with this one is, will you more likely buy a USB 3.1 drive or a Thunderbolt 3 drive? Just the enclosures for Thunderbolt 3 run around $300 without a drive as opposed to USB 3.1 enclosures that run around $30. If you're going to be using the Thunderbolt 3 drive for actively editing on, then it may be worth the much more expensive drives. But if they're only going to be used for cold storage of projects, and active projects will be kept on the laptop, then there's no reason to bother with Thunderbolt 3 unless you really need to transfer large files in a more timely fashion.

Overall I'd say go Apache unless you REALLY think you'll use the Thunderbolt 3 option. And even then I'd still lean towards the Apache because of the IPS panel.

Solution