VIDEO: Every HTC One S Case Gets Blasted with 10,000 Volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Scenario… Solar storm wipes out all communication yet the phone can successfully power on whether in orbit or on Earth. Ironic.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Sweet! this is totally something the iphone will never do![/citation]

Yea, I have to agree with you. They would not do it because ............It serves no point. This does not even simulate a likely situation.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Yea, I have to agree with you. They would not do it because ............It serves no point. This does not even simulate a likely situation.[/citation]
oh, no, you droped the phone, outside, on concreat... well... to bad a product like gorilla glass doesnt exist, i mean if there was a glass that could survive a fall, surely they would use it...

yea... people get a case so their iphones dont scratch, and i met my fair share of people who care a little to much about the back, so yea, something like this would be much appreciated by them

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Yea, I have to agree with you. They would not do it because ............It serves no point. This does not even simulate a likely situation.[/citation]
What would be a likely situation; this is about making the casing more resistant than what's out there on the market already, rendering the aftermarket casing useless. This in turn keeps the phone sleek, as was intended. Do you see this as a point?
Geez, Apple trolls nowadays...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
10,000 Volts is certainly no joke. Voltage isn't a measurement of energy, and more can depend on amperage, but 10,000 Volts is not 'almost' like lightning...

With all due respect, it is impractical for man to simulate lightning within even 2 orders of magnitude... The energy released in a bolt is spectacular...

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
That's because it isn't meant to simulate a likely situation ;) The electricity is part of a process for creating the backing, not a test they ran on it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]What would be a likely situation; this is about making the casing more resistant than what's out there on the market already, rendering the aftermarket casing useless. This in turn keeps the phone sleek, as was intended. Do you see this as a point? Geez, Apple trolls nowadays...[/citation]

Huh? Dude, I was not talking about phone drops or the normal stuff. I was talking about blasting a phone as the article suggested with 10,000 Volts of electricity. Get your head out of your ass for a minute. This test serves no purpose for any device out there. There is no such thing as a indestructible consumer device. Just like blending various devices serves no purpose.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]oh, no, you droped the phone, outside, on concreat... well... to bad a product like gorilla glass doesnt exist, i mean if there was a glass that could survive a fall, surely they would use it...yea... people get a case so their iphones dont scratch, and i met my fair share of people who care a little to much about the back, so yea, something like this would be much appreciated by them[/citation]

1: I was talking about sending 10000 volts to consumer device. Serves no purpose other than to market a product specifically designed to withstand that.
2: 10,000 volts of electricity is very different than surviving a fall
3: There are other manufacturers besides Corning that provide high impact resilient glass. Corning Gorilla Glass just happens to have allot of marketing behind it and has one of the better products on the market.
4: The Test only demonstrates how durable this particular product is. There is always a market for ultra durable products and they are using in certain environments. Does not mean that all devices will use it.
5: If you take a look at this device it is almost completely covered in this material. Would you pick this device over a Samsung Galaxy S2 or some of the other devices out there. Looks like crap compared to the other devices.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Huh? Dude, I was not talking about phone drops or the normal stuff. I was talking about blasting a phone as the article suggested with 10,000 Volts of electricity. Get your head out of your ass for a minute. This test serves no purpose for any device out there. There is no such thing as a indestructible consumer device. Just like blending various devices serves no purpose.[/citation]

Read the article before you make fun of it. It's part of a chemical process to harden the phone's casing. Every single article I see someone posting who didn't even read the article properly making fun of other's comments.

Just to save you a bit of time
-Not a test procedure
-Forms a hardened shell on the outside of the phone.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]What would be a likely situation; this is about making the casing more resistant than what's out there on the market already, rendering the aftermarket casing useless. This in turn keeps the phone sleek, as was intended. Do you see this as a point? Geez, Apple trolls nowadays...[/citation]

How many "sleek" phones out there have you seen that are made entirely of 1 type of material. NONE. That is my point. I am all for more durability but not at the expense of usability or aesthetic design. There has to be a balance. Sending high current into a phone is very different then casual drops and what not. Have you seen an aluminum phone bezel completely break after a drop? I haven't. Glass yea but not the bezel. There is a market for tuff devices. The material sounds great but it will probably not be used but on a few devices.

prereality

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I think ap3x needs to learn to read an article rather than completely misunderstanding a headline and making a fool of him self. I mean even if he cant read properly there is a video to watch >

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Look Guys, Let me clarify since so many of you felt the need to attack without understanding the source of my response. My response was purely a response to a post and not to make fun of the article.

If you read the original response you will see that cmartin011 made a comment that stated that this was something that the iPhone would never do. My point to him was that sending 10000 volts to an iphone would serve no purpose as would sending 10k volts to any consumer device not designed to withstand it. It is the same as trying to blend stuff. Serves no purpose in that context.

You guys really need to RELAX. This is not a iPhone vs anything discussion. My post was purely a response to another persons post. It then turned into a bunch of other stuff.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Look Guys, Let me clarify since so many of you felt the need to attack without understanding the source of my response. My response was purely a response to a post and not to make fun of the article. If you read the original response you will see that cmartin011 made a comment that stated that this was something that the iPhone would never do. My point to him was that sending 10000 volts to an iphone would serve no purpose as would sending 10k volts to any consumer device not designed to withstand it. It is the same as trying to blend stuff. Serves no purpose in that context. You guys really need to RELAX. This is not a iPhone vs anything discussion. My post was purely a response to another persons post. It then turned into a bunch of other stuff.[/citation]
Dude. It's not a test. It's a hardening process. This phone CAN NOT withstand a 10kV jolt. NO ONE SAID THAT. The process protects against scratches and stuff. NOT 10kV!!

And that dude never said that the iphone sucks because it can't withstand such a shock. He simply meant that the iphone will never get the same anodizing treatment. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.