VIDEO: High-Res Footage of Ongoing BP Oil Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

9d3tsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Here's a crazy thought... Why haven't they just placed either a pipe or a hose over the top of it? To collect the oil that comes up and process it? Or am I missing something

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Shell Gasoline & Co. has technology that scrapes oceans floors for oil deposits etc.

Why can't BP consult with other Oil Companies to adapt their competitors' technology to help solve the problem?

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]had no idea how they gotta clean up the mess ~ drink it ?![/citation]

Make it stop flowing somehow and then to rid of the oil in the ocean already, apply its opposite: an acid.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]I hate that I can't edit my post... correct linkagehttp://www2.ucar.edu/news/oil-spill-animations[/citation]
You can... click on "Read the comments on the forums" and edit your post there.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]9d3tsi[/nom]Here's a crazy thought... Why haven't they just placed either a pipe or a hose over the top of it? To collect the oil that comes up and process it? Or am I missing something[/citation]

From what I understand they are doing that right now. The video above is from June 3, before the new cap and hose assembly were MacGuyvered in. That said, the cap is not perfect, and oil can still leak up around it. Also, there is a need to pump chemicals in which prevent methane ice (I believe methane) from forming and clogging the whole thing up, which further prevents a perfect seal. BP states that they are collecting oil from the broken well-head, just inefficiently. Regardless, still a cluster f**k, surrounded by a circle jerk.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Is it me or does that not seem like its kind of weak, pressure wise?

Take a cap with a valve, weld it to the bottom of the existing pipe. When completed, close the valve.

I know this is arm chair engineering but....

Status
Not open for further replies.