VIDEO: MIT's Traffic and Pollution Tracking Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxnate

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Very interesting idea. I like the option to link with your cell phone, but hopefully that's not the only way to control it. It also looks like you shift through your phone. Can't say that I like that. What happens when my cell battery dies? I can't use my bike then?

I also wouldn't want to bike in the rain with my smart phone on the handlebars. Good way to destroy a good phone. I also don't want to think about what would happen to my phone if I crashed.

oxnate

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Very interesting idea. I like the option to link with your cell phone, but hopefully that's not the only way to control it. It also looks like you shift through your phone. Can't say that I like that. What happens when my cell battery dies? I can't use my bike then?

I also wouldn't want to bike in the rain with my smart phone on the handlebars. Good way to destroy a good phone. I also don't want to think about what would happen to my phone if I crashed.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
This is a classic case of an engineer getting a good idea and taking it to far. Connecting it to your phone is ridiculous. Connect it to existing hardware for shifting!

measuring pollution levels, traffic congestion,and road conditions in real-time.
WHAT!? How will draining the battery on this thing FASTER encourage you to use it?

I like the motor assist bit but really, 100 gimmicks and 1 useful feature does not make a good product. I hope my tax dollars didn't fund this.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I do not see how iphone was connected to bike...
i see it is connecting to online place...

And Chinese already been using this electric assist bikes powered by battery. which are very efficient and they recharge when you cycle:)

Also, tomorrow we will see advertising like stop using any device while Biking as too many people crash uploading their speed info or other info in facebook which is far more complicated then texting...

Please do not text but you are welcome to browse and click on some buttons:) and see if you will be able to get to your destination...

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah, I'd love to have something that captures the energy of braking and gives me a push-button on-demand boost but they can keep all that other junk. Anybody know where I can get something like that?

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
[citation][nom]xc0mmiex[/nom]is this the best MIT can come up with... seriously?[/citation]
No, MIT comes up with much better stuff all the time. Seriously.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
This sounds GREAT! No when I'm forced to go up a ridiculously steep hill just to get to the grocery store I can get pushed from energy used earlier. =D

metalfellow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
"Green Miles" Wow! Guess this will be a future form of tax in our push for "Carbon Neutrality."
Next up: We measure how much CO2 you breathe out, watch out healthy & active people, you'll be charged more for polluting our enviroment! (Ironic how the green mile tax rebate might void the possible CO2 tax)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]xc0mmiex[/nom]is this the best MIT can come up with... seriously?[/citation]

[citation][nom]Silicon Jesus[/nom]No, MIT comes up with much better stuff all the time. Seriously.[/citation]
Harvard is good if you want some serious degrees to get you a job anywhere.
Yale is good if you want to party but still get a respectable degree.
MIT is were you go to make the world bow down to your feet (I'm a Canadian, and I still realise this).

I see this as useful for having a smartphone as a attachable GPS for your bike, velocity (km/h of course, screw the Imperial system), distance travelled, clock etc. and having a better damned looking electric bicycle. I don't give a damn about the whole braking crap, as I go a km between each time I brake. Plus, electric bicycles just aren't common enough.
Way to go MIT, this actually shows promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.