Videos lag until I move the mouse, 100% maximum frequency [TROJAN MAYBE DETECTED]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'll be watching a video (youtube, for example), and the video will start to lag-think a slowdown to a few frames per second. Oddly, audio is unaffected, and continues to play as normal. Then I'll move the mouse, and it immediately returns to normal. This happens every few minutes.

I opened Resource Monitor, and it looks like CPU is clocking up to max frequency until I move the mouse, then it returns to normal. CPU utilization doesn't max out, only the frequency of the chip (I guess?).

Any idea what's going on?

nfArD5S.jpg

Memory utilization seems to be unaffected. I have a Core i7 2600k.

Minato_Namikaze_2

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

I found the fix about this problem. I have problems with process like issch.exe which was taking 25% cpu usage and starts lagging like hell, one year i resolving that process with "End Process" in task Manager, but after this second problem, your problem become my problem too.. I buy and install program which is called "Malwerbytes" Anti-Malware Premium v.3.1.2.1733 and run the scan, i have 19 threats in my pc and cleaned it all. After that i was not have problem at all. :bounce:

If this not helps you or anybody else, the problem is behind "Taskhost.exe" which in the process you will find more than one "taskhost.exe" and that means that the trojan or whatever is behind one of them, he masking himself to not be found. Cheers!

Jul 5, 2018
I had the same issue as the rest of you... playing any video on or off-line would lag after a few seconds, sometimes a minute or more of playback.

This is just a simplified way of describing how you get to the Task Scheduler... follow these steps:
WindowsKey (on keyboard) > ControlPanel > AdministrativeTools > TaskScheduler > TaskScheduler(Local) > TaskSchedulerLibrary

If you see anything related to bitcoin or blockchain or anything you don't like (Google the name first before jumping to conclusions please) just disable the task or delete it altogether.

P.S. I was also thinking of re-installing Windows but it's a nightmare and I have things to get done GD it! :p

Sep 27, 2018
I started having this same issue within the past couple days, and I thought it was due to the new Nvidia drivers that just dropped. I just scanned with Malwarebytes anti-malware, and it found quite a few bitcoin miners. Hope this did the trick.

mdd1963

Distinguished
You can troubleshoot it for days, or, wipe and reload (delete partitions/reinstall) in 10-15 minutes, assuming you have installation media on USB, and are using an SSD drive...; will take 30 min if installing from DVD to a spinning drive...

Gather your required chipset and GPU drivers ahead of time...

Oct 31, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.