ViewSonic's Dual-Boot Windows 7/Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]iPad what?????[/citation]

iPad killer that's what :D

Runs a full desktop OS + Android with all of it's fun app's.
You get the best of both worlds!

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I'm sorry, but why are these companies still using Android 2.2? it's 3.0 that's built for tablets. I love the idea of this, but it isn't even out yet and it's already out-dated.

Why are these companies constantly making an inferior product in some way. The first iPad didn't have a front facing camera, the Samsung Galaxy tab is reviewed as being slightly under-powered and as mentioned above, not on android 3.0. Same goes here, this could have been a condender to be end-all discussion on king of tablets, and they cripple it by not putting the highest version of android on it.

I feel like I'm constantly waiting for the perfect tablet and nobody is getting it right. I was looking very much forward to LG's G-Slate for T-Mobile, which will be running 3.0 and can record in 3D. However now that I've heard about the possibility of dual boot ups to windows 7 - that has now crushed my enthusiasm for LG's tablet... and the wait continues.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]iPad killer that's what Runs a full desktop OS + Android with all of it's fun app's.You get the best of both worlds![/citation]
There is no iPad killer. When iPad 2 comes out it'll easily take the top spot while everyone else fights for the table scraps left over.

mrhappy50

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
@elemento911
If you look closely at that website it clearly says "Viewsonic Viewpad 7" this article is about the "ViewPad 10Pro". So yeah... read the article first before posting.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Why are dual sim phones so rare in North America? It seems I can get a foreign knockoff with quad sim support a hell of a lot easier.

I like the dual boot idea though. Does it run ARM, VIA or Atom? I've seen a Chinese knockoff tablet claiming to run Android with a VIA chip.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Absurd idea. Windows 7 is too slow and too clunky to be used on a touch based and performance limited enviornment such as a tablet, as dozens of W7 tablets have demonstrated already.

The HP WebOS tablet, that looks to be a veritable iPad competitor. Android 3.0 could do it as well. But not W7 or current gen Android. MS should really make a WP7 for tablets, a bit like Google did with Honeycomb.

swingman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Even if they did Honeycomb, they still have a tablet with only 6 hours battery life and a low resolution display. Unless the price is under $400 (unlikely), this is dead on arrival.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
A company in Australia (http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au) offers a 11.6 tablet using an Atom CPU with Win7 that can also run Android. The same tablet is also offered by Greek Plaisio under the TuboX stamp. If you get these to run Android 3 then I guess you have the best of both worlds. A proper laptop (once you add a keyboard) and a nice portable web enabled device for light tasks and reading. As one other reader added if they'll add WACOM pen functionality then these would be the best machines ever!

For me I'd love a slate device that can act as a proper laptop when needed.

endgadget

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
As an owner of a Viewsonic Viewpad 10, for a short time, I really will not be buying this machine after Viewsonic sold a standard oem machine for more $$$, with such a low spec. (I got mine for free).

I WANT 8 hours battery life, at least etcx768 resolution (for 125% DPI).

These companies are DAMN lazy and thats why they should fail. Here's an idea, have a tablet with an optional second battery on the back (Like the Envy series) or a great big speaker on the back like the HTC Surround phone.

Oh well, carry on releasing the generic stuff while Apple laughs

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]There is no iPad killer. When iPad 2 comes out it'll easily take the top spot while everyone else fights for the table scraps left over.[/citation]
...and that's why you picked that nickname.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hopefully it will out last the Mac brand ipads in battery life...I know a few people that own Mac ipads & they say that their Mac ipads battery life is fairly short lived...The dual boot ViewPad 10Pro is a fantastic idea as I reguarly dual boot my own desk top computers...At least people that will buy this product will have the choice of experimenting & using both or just one (window 7 professional) or the other (android 2.2)...I think this is a good idea even though some people that may have tried this think otherwise about the windows 7 professional...

G

Apple WILL FAIL because of their POOR support on their devices the way they mess up warranty items without properly registering said item when issued as replacement, IPAD IS OVER PRICED AND WEAK ON THE ABILITIES TO HANDLE EVEN FLASH.
IPAD AND APPLE SUCK... THE WIN 7 OS OR THE WIN OS IN GENERAL IS THE BEST WAY TO GO FOR 100% COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THE 2 ITEMS.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]The ipad is a mere toy. The viewsonic tablet is a full fledged computer.[/citation]
A full fledged computer with a 10" screen and no keyboard or mouse. Still a toy.

Tablets are not meant to be used like laptops. They are toys or fancy e-reader/note taking devices.
The market for tablets with desktop operating systems is still as small as it has been before the iPad was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.