Vintage Lens Question for Canon 60D

vintagen00b

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
Hey there! If no one can answer this here, I'd sure appreciate a nudge on where to go to get it answered. I got a vintage Nikkor Lens (24mm AIS) and grabbed a Fotodiox Nikkon-to-EOS converter. I knew going into it that i'd have to manually set everything, but the images/video are coming out much darker than I'd expect out of a 2.8. I've tried this trick of attaching a modern lens, setting it to 2.8, and then reattaching the Nikkor, but still no go.

Is it the adapter? Or is this just what I'll be dealing with from now on?

F2.8 just means the aperture is 1/2.8 of the focal length. You're confusing it with T2.8, which is a measure of transmittance. Older lenses should normally work just fine and have high transmittance, but if it's particularly old it might lose half a stop or more simply because the transmittance of the glass is less than then ~99.9 you have in modern lenses (though even modern lenses can have exposure variances)

Also note that you should ALWAY shoot with manual exposure when using those lens adapters, since they can mess with the auto exposure settings.

vintagen00b

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015

This lens is behaving odd in that the pictures/video are *abnormally dark* for what I'd expect from it. I've seen similar tests on 60D's online and I'm getting pitch black images in in semi-lit rooms. I'm trying to find a solution to that, or at least what the problem could be. I always shoot manual with this lens.