virus crippling my pc...please help

koolaidjuice

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hi guys...desperately need help i jave alot of important documents and files on my computer, I apparently downloaded a virus that has completely stopped my PC in its tracks...everything is loading super slow or not loading at all..

I tried running anti-malwarebytes in safe mode and it detected a PUP file that is clearly causing the extreme lag...i quarantined the files, but now in regular mode my computer is still running extremely slow and even malwarebytes and AVG are barely running.

What do i do guys? I have so many important files I need this virus off my computer!! Whatever it is it seems like this virus is hidding and cant be detected...any advice? I really need help :-(

Solution
You just need something like Combofix not a real AV to get the viruses off your computer or to make changes so you are able to run a real scan of your system. Combofix runs off a usb drive in safe mode, it will run and find viruses and most of the time what is causing your other antivirus programs to lock up. When you do run it if you have something with real time protection you will need to disable it while it runs it scan. Once it finishes up with everything just reboot normally and run your normal AV scans. No regular antivirus will help you, you could try every antivirus out there but the virus is causing the core functions of any antivirus to malfunction.

Once that gets taken care off run your regular AV software, then I would...

koolaidjuice

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I dont have ccleaner, its also almost impossible to use my computer since its soo incredibly slow...is there another way possible without using my computer? Safe mode runs fine however.

I managed to get open anti-malwarebytes and AVG in regular mode, however they too are running super slow and have yet to find anything!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
A few options.

First, before anything else, pick up a cheap SATA to USB adapter. Remove the HDD from your computer and plug it into another machine via the USB adapter. Copy off any important data off of the drive.

Now that your data is safe we can start working on it.

If in Windows 8 get to the log-in screen. Press and hold the control button on the keyboard while selecting the restart option in the bottom right corner. Or if your system is not really getting that far then press F8 like a crazy person during boot which will bring you to the boot options and you can select 'repair your computer'.

Once in recovery mode select Troubleshoot, and then Refresh My PC. This essentially re-installs the OS while leaving your documents in place. You will need to reinstall all of your software after this is done.

If for whatever reason that does not kill it, go through the process again and select 'Reset your PC' instead of 'Refresh'. This will do a total wipe of your system drive and reinstall the OS (with all updates pre-installed, which is slick!). If you have to do this option then you will need to get your files back, which is why I had you copy them to another PC earlier.

If on Win 7 then the easiest option is to press F8 on boot, get into safe mode, and run your antivirus software... then reset and run it again... and again... and again... until they come back clean. Next, reset in normal mode, update your antivirus, and follow the same process in normal mode rather than safe mode.

If that does not work, then use your recovery media that Windows asked you to make a long time ago (you did make those discs when you got the computer right? Of course not. Nobody does.)... and I am not really sure what you do with them because I have never met anyone who actually had some to try, and I always just did a clean install of my win7 box with a Windows disc.
... which, if you have a Windows disc then you can always use that for a fresh install.

The key point here is to get your important stuff off first, then nuke your system back to the stone age and start over. A fresh install is the only sure way to get rid of a virus... especially one so rooted in your system that it has it running so slowly.

koolaidjuice

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I am decently computer savvy to do this myself though, I just need advice on what to do...

Ill go into safe mode with networking, than what do I download? I appreciate ur help buddy I really am really upset over this...

whats the best program to get rid of this damm virus?

Rit_86

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Try to approach the problem logically. First, since you have a lot of data, try backing them up first. Use another PC with a good AV (other than AVG) and back them up bit by bit after checking for viruses. Then uninstall both AVG and malwarebytes. Since your PC was infected with AVG running, it will provide you almost no protection for that particular virus. Malwarebytes is very good at detecting viruses but has terrible virus removal and repair features and can really destroy an OS. Install some other good AVs (free ones like avira or trial of paid ones like bitdefender) and do a through check. Carry out boot time scans. see if that helps.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Whenever I get some virus got into my system (small unknown files in folders, unknown programs running in the taskmanager, more unknown programs in msconfig, etc...) I download the free versions of some of the long running brands, and after running a rootkit and specific drive/folder tests, I uninstall them (Antivirus programs really slow down systems often).

I use:
AVG
Norton
Avast
Panda
Kapersky
Zonealarm

Why so many? Each program has different styles of detecting virii; some programs detects a specific virus, while others cant(yes, even with up to date virus definitions). So imho, there is no best one among them.

Lastly, try to do an OS reinstall and backup docs/files into another HD, to keep the filesystem clean and clear.

koolaidjuice

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Ugh, safe mode is now running slow. Its becoming really hard to even run my AV or even go on the internet...

Would it work if I did a system restore back to its last know working state?

Also, im tryimg to download another AV but when I try to download a page comes up with weird symbols. ..

uff

mdd1963

Distinguished
Other than 'horribly slow', is there some key symptom that can be given, or, possibly shows in, for instance, task manager? (For instance, multiple dllhost.exe instances (Poweliks), or, an extra explorer.exe taking most/all of your available RAM?)

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
You just need something like Combofix not a real AV to get the viruses off your computer or to make changes so you are able to run a real scan of your system. Combofix runs off a usb drive in safe mode, it will run and find viruses and most of the time what is causing your other antivirus programs to lock up. When you do run it if you have something with real time protection you will need to disable it while it runs it scan. Once it finishes up with everything just reboot normally and run your normal AV scans. No regular antivirus will help you, you could try every antivirus out there but the virus is causing the core functions of any antivirus to malfunction.

Once that gets taken care off run your regular AV software, then I would run roguekiller to remove any Malicious edits the viruses could have made to your registry. Most viruses use what is called the buddy system, you can find the .exe files and delete them. but the registry that was change or created by the virus can resurrect that .exe file and have it come back to life it can even make it so it updates itself.

Solution