Virus has computer locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2018
I've run into an issue with my Windows 10 Laptop. My girlfriend tried pirating some software (some design app she says) and she said the issues started about 1 minute after trying to install. So she shut it off immediately.
It installed a bunch of games / etc / crap, so I went into app control and uninstalled them all and completely deleted the zipped and unzipped version of the torrent. It disabled the User Account Controls, etc.. Now the computer won't stay on for longer than 30 seconds or so without going to a bluescreen saying, Your PC ran into a problem. etc.. Stop Code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. And then reboots to the lock screen. I log in, and the cycle repeats.

I have been able to access the menu to hit restart to get to hit the number to boot into safe mode, but once I click restart on screen, it just boots normally. It seems as though it's locking me out of safemode. I've been able to pull up the menu that allows me to Hit restart to boot into safe mode once or twice, but only by accident. (It looks like Windows didn't load correctly). Once I boot into safe mode, I'm not sure what to do. I've found on here the MalwareBytes and RKill recommendations, but I'm not sure how to get them onto the laptop from my desktop.
I did not have anything other than Windows Defender running on my laptop before this all happened. I won't make that mistake again.

I could really use help! This is a very expensive laptop that I use for work and play.

Solution
c_wise - Yes, it does sound like you had some unwanted hitch-hikers with that torrent file, especially if the issues happened immediately after installing/extracting the software, it seems very likely.

Unfortunately, since the machine is already compromised, the safest option is to restore from a safe backup or reinstall Windows.

It's very likely that this laptop, if a name brand like an HP or similar, has a Restore Partition you can use. It will restore the system from scratch, as it was when you first got it off the shelf (or on your doorstep) and wouldn't require you to have any media like a CD or USB. Check your user manual to see how to boot into the system restore partition and then you should be able to recover the system...

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
Simply reinstall Windows. Copy the files off the computer using Ubuntu install disk on a USB. If you want, I can step-by-step tell you how to clear the software but messing with the registry is a load of annoyance.

Actually, do upload the files from C:\Windows\minidump using Ubuntu. That'll be useful.

Feb 23, 2018

I apologize, I'm not sure how to do that. I'd be willing to send you some thank you $ for an explanation.

Thank you!

USAFRet

Illustrious
At this point I'd just blow everything away and reinstall fresh.

"I did not have anything other than Windows Defender running on my laptop before this all happened. I won't make that mistake again."

The second part of that "mistake" is torrenting software.
No AV or malware application is 100%. If you invite the bad actors in, you're screwed.

I've seen people here who purposely ignored the alert by Win Defender, and did it anyway. And then wondered how their PC got screwed.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Donate the money to... Eh... Anyone else but me. How about that.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
c_wise - Yes, it does sound like you had some unwanted hitch-hikers with that torrent file, especially if the issues happened immediately after installing/extracting the software, it seems very likely.

Unfortunately, since the machine is already compromised, the safest option is to restore from a safe backup or reinstall Windows.

It's very likely that this laptop, if a name brand like an HP or similar, has a Restore Partition you can use. It will restore the system from scratch, as it was when you first got it off the shelf (or on your doorstep) and wouldn't require you to have any media like a CD or USB. Check your user manual to see how to boot into the system restore partition and then you should be able to recover the system.

Finally on the protection side -- if you're looking to boost this and are checking out options, take a look at Avast Free. It's difficult for old-school security software to keep up with modern threats, but we have several ways to sniff out malware that hasn't even been seen before (see CyberCapture, Behavior Shield, etc) plus AI and machine learning powering our detection back end. You don't want to settle for less! I can provide more details if you like (send me a PM)

I hope all of that helps and best of luck in getting things back to normal :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS