virus or not

animate13

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I did not find a category to fit my situation, so I chose applications. Is anybody out here smart enough to tell me what this is? I have ask some people that build software and they do not know. I do not know if it is a file, an application or what.

When doing a scan, this file popped up. I quarantined it because I did not know what it was. After I quarantined it, I went to google and typed it in the search bar. It was not found. Then I went to Mcafee and typed it in threats, and it was not found. Does anybody know what it could be: Here is what was listed as potential threat:
CryptInno!0C460DB75F61
If anyone knows what it is, please tell me. I do not know if it is something my computer needs or not. It has me totally bumfuzzled.

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
This software is not a virus or a Trojan. It is detected as a "potentially unwanted program" (PUP). PUPs are any piece of software that a reasonably security- or privacy-minded computer user may want to be informed of and, in some cases, remove. PUPs are often made by a legitimate corporate entity for some beneficial purpose, but they alter the security state of the computer on which they are installed, or the privacy posture of the user of the system, such that most users will want to be aware of them.

PUPs do not "infect" systems. They may be installed by a user individually or possibly as a part of a software package (in a bundle, for example).

that's all i could find on it. inno, crypt. sounds like something to do with encryption.

download and run malwarebytes

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
The reason you didn't find it in a search is that the number is different on different systems. It's probably something that is assigned at installation to identify your particular machine. Search "CryptInno" and you'll find a lot of information.

animate13

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

I just installed some new 3.0 USB ports and I also installed a network printer. Maybe it is one of those. Should I put it back or leave it quarantined.