Viruses and fighting them

irock281

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Hello my anti virus Norton just ran out it was a free trial because I just built my PC. But I was wondering should I buy a Norton subscription? Is it necessary to if I'm smart with what I download and the sites I go on. Thanks

Solution
There are many good free alternatives to paid antivirus. There is AVG, Avast, Bit Defender, Avira, to name a few. Whatever you pick out of these, then use MalwareBytes as a manual scan. The free version of MalwareBytes can only be used as a manual scanner / removal tool, but it's very good at detecting and removing viruses that are difficult to find / remove. Used as a back up to your main AV solution, it's a deadly combo.

Of course the primary AV solution is the user, so as long as you are smart, you should be OK. However it occasionally happens that you'll mess up and a virus will get one past you, this is where your main AV should help to save the day.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
There are many good free alternatives to paid antivirus. There is AVG, Avast, Bit Defender, Avira, to name a few. Whatever you pick out of these, then use MalwareBytes as a manual scan. The free version of MalwareBytes can only be used as a manual scanner / removal tool, but it's very good at detecting and removing viruses that are difficult to find / remove. Used as a back up to your main AV solution, it's a deadly combo.

Of course the primary AV solution is the user, so as long as you are smart, you should be OK. However it occasionally happens that you'll mess up and a virus will get one past you, this is where your main AV should help to save the day.

Solution

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
there are plenty of free alternatives to norton that works as well or better.bit defender,avira,and my choice,avast.all free and work well.also consider a layered approach to security.a good av,coupled with malwarebytes (paid version is really worth it),and malwarebytes antiexploit (free).

Greg Gregorich

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
in my practice i never use one.Windows 8,10 have good Windows defenders(Windows 7 calls Security Essentials)i was on wrong site of internet and they manage so well.couple times i get virus and to remove that i spend a lot of my time to get knowledge how to remove the virus and then remove it. so i, end up reinstalling Windows anyway LOL!but its your choice.good luck.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
windows security essentials is pretty much garbage,even microsoft recommends secondary protection.if your comfortable with the plow and pave method of fixing your windows go for it.i clone my primary hdd to a backup and,in the event of an infection,can be up and running in about 30 min with all my programs and files.