Question Vivobook not turning on HELP

Feb 5, 2023
I bought a Vivobook 17x yesterday. It had the i5-12500h that I wanted but only came with 8GB soldiered-on Ram so I went out today and picked up another 8GB PNY stick. I took the cover off, disconnected the battery and added the memory stick. When I went to turn it back on, I got no power. Tried holding down the power button, nothing. I figured the issue was the ram so I took it back out, put it back together and hit the power.....nothing. Wtf? I wait a minute and go to pick up the laptop and notice the keyboard is warm. I take off the cover and discover the whole heatsink is hot.

I disconnected the battery (non removable battery btw), let it cool down, then plugged it back in. I wait a minute and feel the back and it was still cool. When I try to turn it on nothing happens(no display, no fan, no post, no beeping, no power/status light) but SOMETHING is drawing power causing the heatsink to get hot??? I've tried it with and without the charger. Having the charger on just makes it heat up quicker.

Did I really brick this thing in less than 24 hours?

The last thing I can think to try is a cmos reset but dont see a battery and I'm reading conflicting info about it, some people saying it's not applicable to newer laptops? Anyone ever run into something like this?

Reactions: sonuprsd.nss
Feb 5, 2023
I bought an Asus Vivobook x17 yesterday. It has the i5-12500h(great cpu) but only 8GB soldiered-on ram. After adding another 8GB Ram stick to it today it failed to power on. So I removed the new Ram and it still failed to power on. I gave it a minute and went to pick up the laptop and noticed the keyboard was warm. I took off the cover and discovered the whole heat sink was hot. Wtf.

I disconnected the battery to let it cool down, then connected it again (non-removable battery btw). I waited a minute then felt the back....it was still cool. I try to turn it on again and nothing.....but it starts heating up again. No display, no beeping, no status/power light, no fan, nothing.... except SOMETHING is drawing power causing the whole heat sink to get hot. I've tried to turn it on with and without the charger. Putting the charger on just makes it heat up quicker. Holding the power button does nothing. Tried discharging static with battery disconnected, nothing.

The only thing I can think of is cmos reset but I'm reading mixed things, some say this isn't applicable to newer laptops. Also I'm not sure if this has a cmos battery somewhere or if it has jumpers.

Did I brick this thing in less than 24 hours? Anyone ever run across something like this?