Question Vizio backlight replacement problems

Offlinex

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
I have a Vizio E500I-A0 tv where part of the screen about 2/3 of the way up it got dark and began to flicker. I looked up the possible problem and back lights became a pretty good suspect. I watched this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxR8-xztdGs
video and checked my voltage to diagnose it.

Upon testing the tv I had normal 120 voltage on one and a low voltage of 60 on the other but when the wire was disconnected I had normal 120 voltage on both and according to the video it was a sign of bad led's. So I looked up the Led sticker on the back of the TV which was LC500DUG-JFR1, went online and ordered new replacements. upon replacing the back lights 3 of the strips are not working, the 2nd 3rd and 4th strips were dark. Does this mean the power board is bad or some kind of bad connection?

edit
So I tried unpluging one of the working R1 strips and pluging in and older R1 strip which lit up. So then I went and switched the proved old R1 into the new dark R1 and it stopped working. Also testing on the led strips themselves I get ~90V going into the working strips (from the connectors) while the working strips themselves (two little dots with + and - on the strips) read about ~22V and I get ~127V going into the dead strips (from the connectors) and on the strips themselves I get 0V (the dots). Seeing as there is power its not a broken wire or a bad connection. That just leaves the power board... which is out of stock everywhere.... sigh anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A TVs 2
Meecof7 TVs 0
B TVs 0
J TVs 1
M TVs 0
S TVs 0
K TVs 1
zincmann TVs 0
S TVs 1
DMonsman TVs 1