Vizio M series loses signal when changing to SD channel

FievelGoesPostal

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
So when I initially set up my new Vizio 43 inch 4k TV, I used a HDMI cable( cable is old/prior to 2009) in the 60hz input for the TV from my cable box. It worked, but I got a popup that said something like "input source is 480p ,wont work properly..recommend using the other hdmi ports for optimal results". I just pushed ok..and everything looked fine..no soap opera effect or anything. Soon as I changed the channel to a standard def channel..the TV lost signal. Soon as I switch back to a HD channel it comes back. How come? I'm assuming that once I get a 2.0 cable, this wont be an issue?

Secondly..as soon as I switch the HDMI cable to the 30hz input SD channels worked fine, but the soap opera effect was very noticeable on the HD channels. It was correctlable by adjusting some settings, but those settings didnt need adjusting when using the HDMI 60hz input.

And lastly and separately, while I have the soap opera effect corrected for HD channels with the 30hz input..on SD channles the soap opera effect is noticeable.

The soap opera effect should only be because of clearmotion or whatever settings in the TV. Every company calls it something different. It's looks at 2 frames and makes up frames inbetween upto 120hz or 240 or whatever they say. The fact that you see it on the 30hz shows that the TV processing is still in effect and turned on somewhere.

Also, are you using the TV to upscale as well? this can effect things too.

FievelGoesPostal

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

I seem to have figured out the soap opera thing.

As far as the upscale : I assumed since it was a 4k TV that it would automatically upscale content to a certain degree on its own? Or am I misunderstanding something

I'm not sure, my roomie has a Vizio M, but I haven't play much, that you can set the level of the upscaling. Maybe it always does it. My Seiki 4K TV does, but it does a kind of crappy job so I set my Denon AVR to upscale all inputs to 4K as it does a better job, so my TV doesn't upscale anything. My PC is also native 4K and that input doesn't upscale so I can watch the small amount of 4K content out there in native res.