Vizio M50-C1 Upscaling issues

Noob_Maou

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
I apologize if i have posted this in the wrong section if I did I am sorry this is my first post. Now let me get to the topic at hand.I am super stressed with the upscaling on 1080p PC games such as Battlefield 4, Dying Light, Far Cry 4. I dont know if this is just my TV but when playing at 1080p on the game it is either WAY to sharp or its to smooth. Now let me say this though in case this could effect it but my gpu is a gtx760 which doesn't support HDMI 2.0. All im asking is whether vizio isnt as good at upscaling such as sony or samsung or tv or gpu could be the cause. (BTW I like to sit 3-5 feet from the tv when playing the games above) Thank you so much in advance to any replies, its my first purchase of over 300$ and dont want to waste it.

I have never used a Vizio TV, but on my Philips, if I don't use PC mode to soften the whole image and somewhat correct it, it's unplayable. However, I calibrated mine outside PC mode, and the difference is night and day. Sometimes sharpness 0 isn't that great, depending on TV, though it should be fine because it's artificial anyways. Here's my go to settings before anything else:

Picture preset: Movie/Cinema/Theater
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: 90 (should be fine, could drop it 5%)
Brightness: 40-50 typically
PC mode: OFF
Game mode: ON
Backlight: Preference
Dynamic contrast/color: OFF

Always turn off everything that's dynamic with the TV, even a power saving mode that's turning down the overall brightness, though can be useful if it also has a backlight option. Now something to keep in mind that upscaling is not yet perfect. It's nearly like displaying native 1080p content on a 4k TV, but not there yet, you will see that the image is soft, unfortunately.

Noob_Maou

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
I wish turning off sharpness would solve the problem but for my tv it makes it much worse. Also yes i understand its not a perfect solution yet but i was wondering for any who had a Sony 4k or Samsung 4k how upscaling looks on PC to them. BTW this tv doesnt have a pc mode only game mode

Oh, my bad, I read PS4 game instead of PC games. The problem is the chroma subsampling, or color resolution. You want 4:4:4 when using it with a PC, otherwise it's not going to look great. You're probably seeing 4:2:0. Again, I'm sorry for missing that.

Noob_Maou

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Thank u so much!!! You pointed me in the right direction. I did some research and it turned out my 760 is 1.4 hdmi and to get 4k@60hz u need 2.0 hdmi.Here is where things got interesting nvidia made an update that made it possible to have 4k at 60 hz by compressing color data by a good amount. I was stuck with 4:2:0. Yes i know that vizio doesnt support 4:4:4 but it does support RGB Full and that is quite similar. Anyway i plan on buying a gtx 770 but for right now i am enjoying full quality 1080p upscaling at 4k@ 30hz. Once again thank you so much for the help. I would put you as the one who answered my problem but dont know how since im new to the forums.

Noob_Maou

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

Don't worry, rep doesn't mean anything to me. I'm here to help and learn. To answer your question. No, you started this thread as a discussion, and not a question. This can't be changed, sorry. ;-)