Vizio Making LED LCD TVs... and LED Lightbulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'll believe these of the Compact Florescent Bulbs from the past. Those never seemed to give enough light out and never seemed to last nearly as long as they depicted them. Also there wasn't any "dimming" them.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]I'll believe these of the Compact Florescent Bulbs from the past. Those never seemed to give enough light out and never seemed to last nearly as long as they depicted them. Also there wasn't any "dimming" them.[/citation]
Totally different technology, and I've never found LEDs to be too dim in the slightest. Nearly always they are too bright, which is a much better problem to have, I'd say.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Totally different technology, and I've never found LEDs to be too dim in the slightest. Nearly always they are too bright, which is a much better problem to have, I'd say.[/citation]
They meant you can't put a dimmer on them, guess they only had on and off no way to make it go in between like regular bulbs.

ibemerson

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I have been using a similar bulb sold by Home Depot, made by EcoSmart and costs 18$. It puts out 430 lumens at 8.6 watts but seems brighter than a 40w bulb because the light is more directional.

G

Hope they have an opaque diffuser on the lens so it looks more light a normal "bulb". LEDs always blind me, but I like looking at them :p

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]I'll believe these of the Compact Florescent Bulbs from the past. Those never seemed to give enough light out and never seemed to last nearly as long as they depicted them. Also there wasn't any "dimming" them.[/citation]

The two are completely different. A CF bub is a miniature TL lamp (gas discharge based), an LED is a solid state diode (as the name implies). LED's can be easily dimmed, even by old fashioned dimmers still found in many houses. They also don't start going dark after a while: they remain bright till they faint after years of use.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ibemerson[/nom]I have been using a similar bulb sold by Home Depot, made by EcoSmart and costs 18$. It puts out 430 lumens at 8.6 watts but seems brighter than a 40w bulb because the light is more directional.[/citation]

No, it just seems brighter because it actually IS brighter than a 40W bulb. From the 40W a traditional bulb uses, less than 3W is actually converted into light. From the 8,6W an LED uses, up to 2/3 is converted into light.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So how do these compare in energy savings compared to the type of energy saving bulbs we've been getting for the past few years? The ones that look like a coiled up spring. I assume those are CF bulbs?

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Darkmatterx[/nom]So how do these compare in energy savings compared to the type of energy saving bulbs we've been getting for the past few years? The ones that look like a coiled up spring. I assume those are CF bulbs?[/citation]
Not much to be honest. CFL(Compact Florescent Light) gets about 450 lumen @ 9 watts
Many LED bulbs are damn close 8-9 watts for 450 lumen.

The real thing here is dimming and no mercury. There are dimming CFL, but they DO suck.

NOT ALL LED bulbs DIM, many do not.

My personal issue with LED lighting is color(many are soft white. Current CFL can be had in warm white, soft white, cool white and daylight) and the directional nature(they just do not shine like a CFL or incandescent/halogen bulb. They do make a great spotlight :) ) of LEDs. Both can be overcome.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]ibemerson[/nom]I have been using a similar bulb sold by Home Depot, made by EcoSmart and costs 18$. It puts out 430 lumens at 8.6 watts but seems brighter than a 40w bulb because the light is more directional.[/citation]

So that's what "Those never seemed to give enough light out" means. Huh.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Hope they have an opaque diffuser on the lens so it looks more light a normal "bulb". LEDs always blind me, but I like looking at them[/citation]

that sounds like a problem. haha.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]imagine having LED light your home. There like huge Christmas lights!!!![/citation]
image have light LED light in you're lighthouse. Their like urge Chrismis lites!!!!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
This is where things may get too complex for you. You see, LED lightbulbs are a different thing from Compact Florescent Bulbs. They are not the same thing; hence the different name. LEDs also have a completely different feature set (being a different thing). Does this start you in the right direction? You may want to look up information on LED lighting (which will be different than the information on CFLs, becaise LED are a different thing).

jeffjwatts

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
As a general purpose light, I don't have much use for anything under 1000 lumens. Once I can buy an LED light that produces 1000 lumens in a reasonably 360 degree range for under $10, I'll start buying them.

I do have some spots I could replace, but again I want 1000+ lumens for under $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.