Vizio Overtakes Sony for LCD TV Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
My whole family has a 26" lcd and my parents bought a 32" last year. They are good starter HDTV's no doubt. I would recommend anything above the 26" tv because it seems like the 32" lcd has a cleaner picture than the 26" when watching standard def channels.

I totally feel like we got what we paid for, considering Vizio's are some of the cheapest models. If considering anything other than just watching tv, such as games or computer hookup, I'd suggest a different brand.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I own a 26" vizio lcd and I love it! It doesn't have the greatest SD picture, but HD isn't bad at all. I do think that you get a decent hdtv for the money you pay. However, I do not think my tv is the greatest picturewise for gaming or using as a second computer monitor. If anything, go for the 32" tv or larger. They seem to have better and crisper images.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I own a 46" 1080p vizio TV. I absolutley love it. I use it for Blu rays, HD gaming on a PC with all latest titles. They look wonderful in full 1080p. TAKE that p.o.s PS3 and Xbox. It has been very reliable and I keep the brightness around 40 of 100 and it is PLENTY bright - that way it saves the bulb life and your eyes. I will definitley buy from Vizio again. They seem to focus on quality and value. They are the best bang for buck you can get in the HDTV business.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
"Vizio's success in the fourth quarter was partly due to increasing brand recognition, courtesy of the company's strong marketing efforts and retail strategy," said iSuppli analyst Riddhi Patel.

Vizio, marketing? More like for sale and 20% off signs.

The only good thing about this is that in a few years, China will be the biggest HDTV market as Chinese share Japanese' desire for the best and greatest. American is on the race to the bottom.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner. Sony's Trinitron TV's are different from other Tv's and it is quality that people can see. Most consumers can't tell the difference between Sony's LCD Tv's and Visio ones except the name brand while paying twice 50% more for the same tv.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I love my Vizio. The 26" variety looks superb and has excellent picture quality. As far as money goes it was well worth it.

G

I have a 47" Vizio... 1080p... bought it 1 1/2 years ago and play XBOX360 and HD movies on it. It is 100%. True that it doesn't render the impeccable blacks and all that... but for me who cares. I couldn't afford the "qaulity" sets. My Vizio's 10x better than my old 32" CRT... Thanks Vizio for putting this new technology within my grasp!

G

Vizio has an LCD in the works that will KICK ASS! It has more features then the Sony LCD's and at a lower price point. I heard Wireless,Bluetooth, Flash( that is fast),Browser ( that doesn't SUCK). I think the chip maker will be Broadcom. Can't wait for that one to come out this year. I can't afford a stupid Sony that costs me 2K more with half the features.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
We got a Vizio 46" 1080p about 6 months ago for around $900 at Costco. It was around $500 cheaper than the next brand name HDTV of the same size.

Honestly I couldn't be happier, the screen looks great. The upscaling isn't very good, but for bluray or any 1080p source video or games, I can't tell the difference between this one and the much more expensive brands.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I bought a Sceptre 1080p 46" TV for uber cheap.. It looked decent in the store but got it home, calibrated it and realized it was total crap.. I ended up returning it for a Vizio 1080p 42".. It was less than $100 more and 4" smaller, but still pretty cheap and 10x the quality of the Sceptre..

cl_spdhax1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
bought a sony package deal w a ps3, a v-series 46. a year later, a vizio 47, being only 1/3 the price, after calibration, makes me feel embarrass to had bought the sony. vizio is like = mainstream sony lcds in quality, except you can start a great blu-ray collection w the money u save.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]WOW, I never thought Vizio was that big.I think Sony should stop over charging for there LCD's.[/citation]

Overcharging ? So you're telling me Ferrari overcharging people ? When you can get a Hyundai for 1/10 the price or less ?

DumbA$$

G

I have one of the new Vizio 42" LCD 1080P at 120Hz. I love it, great TV for the money. Looking at the picture side by side against others at the local store I was hard pressed to tell the difference. I highly recommended the Vizio TV's.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@CChick
You cannot compare Ferrari as an equal to Sony. But if you are saying yes they are THAT over priced, then by all means continue.

Sony doesn't make their own panels, so they are doing exactly what Vizio is doing which is outsourcing to the cheapest vendor. Having seen Vizio in action, paying more for less (Sony) doesn't make sense. Unfortunately people that think brand name means more stability will never be happy with a non-name brand and will ALWAYS find some fault with it.

The only way people like you will accept non-brand names is to do a blind test where you wouldn't see the brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.