Vizio TV and Sony Receiver, no sound

jdscheumann

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
I was using an optical cable to get sound through my receiver from my 55" Vizio LED tv. It worked for a couple of months then just stopped working. I got a new cable but it still doesn't work. I tried using the ARC connection, and the red/white cable connection, but am still receiving no sound. Is there anything else I can try?

Does the receiver work with other sources?
You seem to have tried all the options although you might not have tried them correctly.
If the optical output of the TV doesn't work you will not see red light at the end of the fiber optic cable.
To use the ARC you have to have it in both the TV and receiver. The receiver HDMI out has to be connected to the TV HDMI input that is designated ARC and you have to activate it in the TV and maybe the receiver menus.
The red/white audio connection you tried is more likely to be an audio input on the TV than an analog audio output (not common on TVs anymore).
You can connect any external sources (set top box for example) to the receiver directly to get sound to it.

jdscheumann

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015

jdscheumann

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
My optical cable is good, but I can't find where to activate the arc function in the TV menu or on my receiver. I just found it odd that it was working fine with the optical cable, then just quit.