VLC damaged my laptop speaker

ahmed_unreal

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
just installed VLC PLAYER guys on my laptop "DELL" :sarcastic: and used it for sometime , few days back my media player got crashed . anyway i had to use VLC PLAYER , i listen to hard metal so i raised the sound to 200% , well the sound was great after just 15 minutes or something , i heard strong noise from the left speaker , i thought something is wrong with the software but no sire , my speaker is spoiled :D , the VLC got my laptop speaker dead , i just want to ask the creator of this program , does he have any idea how hard it's gonna be in a place like this to fix my laptop and how the hell i am gonna get the spare part i need , i am crying people this sucks for sure , i know what u probably gonna say it's dell 's problem but VLC had to tell me the risk or anything , anything that could tell me this was gonna happened :??: i don't understand how could such app be available to download and u something if u raise it to %200 u gonna get ur self only bad sound

guys , last thing does it have to be replaced , can't i just fix it or something :(

dish_moose

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
He is being fair - you cranked the sound all the way up.
Most stereos will allow almost 200% because not all sources are equal. Common sense can't be downloaded with vlc.
-Bruce

ahmed_unreal

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

ah , well and it's not VLC 's fault at all to damage ur speaker after only 15 minutes if it was wrong then why did they put such option from first place without even a notice

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

I just asked my six year old niece what would happen if turned a speaker up twice as loud as it's meant to go.

She said it will blow up.

She has more common sense then you.

k1114

Distinguished
Software is irrelevant, 5w speaker will only take 5w. Software can say 1000000% and it still won't take more power. It is common for laptop speakers to be cheap and break easily. You are not the only one to blame software. But the speaker will only input a max signal that its driver allows or clipping occurs. When clipping occurs, the speaker is sustaining its max power for an extended amount of time. Low quality components will not handle their max for very long and then blow. Also the volume level is relative, so a strong input at 10% can be equal to a weak signal at 400%, both maxing your speaker.

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

LOL YEAAAA!! XD

stefanGR

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

It's not the software . It was a cheap speaker that couldnt handle working at 100% . You cant bypass the hardware or the preamp specs with software .

G

ding ding ding! we have a winner!

though we can get into a discussion about *which frequency* would blow what type of speaker but that is an excellent explanation.

G

lack of common sense and poor choices are still no excuse for poor spelling!
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fare
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fair?s=t

ArcticWonder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

You may be a genius o_O

Yeah, sorry dude it is totally your own fault. Think about it, if you set something to 200% or 2x what is normal don't you think that can cause problems?

Common sense... if you were to eat 200% more per day I would assume you would think that you will gain weight faster. If you bake something and the instructions tells you to set the oven to 300F, but you set it to 600F does that mean it cooks 2x faster?

For whatever reason it just brought back that memory when people sued Apple back in 2006 or so because setting their iPods to the maximum volume damaged their hearing. Nothing related to this issue other than common sense... the louder something is the more likely it will damage your ears. Perhaps they were too thickheaded to know that and maybe they should have downloaded hack for their iPod which doubles the volume. Maybe if they listened to a message at 2x the max volume they would have heard it when it says "LOUD MUSIC CAN DAMAGE YOUR HEARING".

Also reminds me of the scene in This Is Spinal Tap, where Nigel is explaining to a reporter why his amp goes up to volume 11...

stefanGR

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Once more , this 200% refers to the source , not to the max wattage . YOU CANNOT excede max specs with software . All you can do is come closer to the 100% of the wattage dictated by your amp + preamp specs . This setting in VLC , is about correcting the source (the video or audio) playing , which can be really low sometimes . That is also what normalise does , corrects your source depending on a preset , makes low sources louder and high sources lower , so that they sound almost the same . Think before you post guys . This guys speaker blew up because there was something wrong with it and as every tech worth his salt knows , stressing faulty equipment can do that .

RMA it if it is within warranty .