Vodafone: Android Without Google is Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I got my G1 and had to sign-in with a Google account before I could even use the phone, kinda annoying. Then, it used Google Mail for my contacts list (meaning everything I had already uploaded to T-Mobile's online contact list was unavailable). It also automatically synced my email and calendar to the phone using a special G-Mail app, but I had to add my Yahoo account (my main email) to a separate Email app (yeah, two apps to check email, thanks).

My fiancee, on the other hand, was able to use all the same features on her blackberry (Google Maps, GMail, GMail contacts and calendar, etc...), no problem.

Long story short, any decent smart phone can use any of Google's services, they don't have to be (nor should they be) tied into the damn OS, especially if you don't want them.

pwrntspd

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Dont care....im waiting for the modu...besides smart phones are awesome, and i think android is a good OS, but 90% of us dont need or use a smart phone

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Im just waiting for virus to start spreading across all these OS/Platform based phones (smartphones) and start spreading spam and prank calls across the networks and bluetooth - i await the day.

reapper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'd rather buy a smartphone with NO dedicated email crap. Though I use Gmail I think you really need a good platform and a browser to start out. The rest is about options and customization. Isn't it the raison d'etre for smartphones? Proprietry stuff already exits and really works, why the hell go android on it if not the desire to choose?

G

I've been using my HTC Tilt for a while now. I don't have a google account, but the prospect of having updates for the applications for my phone sounds promising. While the messaging interface for my sms messages is all right, I would have liked seeing updates such as organizing sms chat sessions so that my sent and received messages go in order, like a IM chat session. If google can update their apps with useful new features, etc then I would prefer their client over something the network providers give that will NEVER get an update.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd like to have to OS stripped down (no carrier bullshit either, if anything has to come pre-installed I'll take the google apps) and then you have to option of selecting which apps you want.

G

I wouldn't mind network provided software...as long as you weren't locked into using it. Isn't that supposed to be one of the big selling points of Android?

"Don't like 'X'? Then replace it with something else."

Status
Not open for further replies.