VoIP On iPhone Using EDGE Now Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought Apple wasn't allowing any VOIP applications on the iPhone.

G

hmmm... The tone of this article is a bit too 'cheerleader' for me. It reads like a Fring press release, so I'm a bit skeptical. And jailbreaking the Iphone causes issues as well, if you ever need to update the firmware, etc...
And how does it support Skype?? We use Skype extensively, and AFAIK it doesn't talk to anyone except a- Skype users or b- POTS phones via SkypeIn/Out. So you could call a Skype user if they have a SkypeIn number, but that goes from VOIP->POTS->VOIP, not a direct connection.

G

Well. I've installed this on my iphone, and it doesn't want you to use the VOIP over edge, but will work via WiFi - i'm sure a simple modification to software will remove this lock.

Also to dnz - there is nothing that apple has its hands in in this situation. It is a user based software library that is used for Jailbroken phones. Apple, does NOT endorse this by any means.

And skype works. Dont know how; because, I don't know the Skype network, but it does indeed work.

The above may seem much like an advertisemnt, but besides the VOIP over EDGE part, it is accurate.

G

I would like to know if this would work for the iTouch. Although the EDGE wouldn't work period, It would be a great alternative to buying an iPhone in the first place.

G

This article should be reviewed as the Fring for IPhone by now does not support calls over EDGE, and that the IPhone versions with 3G are still not supported.
There might be some plans for the future, we all hope so.

On the other hand Fring for IPhone on Wifi Networks operates acceptable fine.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.