VOTW: The Making of the Chevy Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Too bad the price offsets the savings in fuel. In addition, the 6,000$ batteries need to be replaced after 3-4 years and are NOT covered under warranty... : /

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
[citation][nom]longshotthe1st[/nom]Too bad the price offsets the savings in fuel. In addition, the 6,000$ batteries need to be replaced after 3-4 years and are NOT covered under warranty... : /[/citation]

That is about 3.24 dollars a gallon....at 3 years.
" " 2.40 dollars a gallon....at 4 years.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
great concept only for those who can afford $50,000 vehicle!X@ If I can afford that much money the cost of gas is bothering me ALL that much. Make the car affordable and you might have some buyes, friggin corporate weenies. Yeh and the battery replacement really suks and is going to make for a fantastic land fill some day.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is nice but why didn't they use a diesel engine for the generator? they could have gotten even more mileage out of the fuel....

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mr_jay[/nom]The Volt has a standard 8 year/100k mile warranty from Chevrolet.[/citation]
i am sure that they will figure out a way not to pay if something happens after 5 years, lol...go figure it's the American way...they will tell you to just go and buy another vehicle or the company will be out of business, example is Pontiac and Saturn, it's a same but it's the truth.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So many engineers on Tom's - why didn't they do this or that. yawn

As to the cost to recharge at home, it's cheap. If you take the amount of electricity you will consume from your house (average rates across North America) to charge the Volt and compare it to how much fuel you'd have to buy (again, current average prices) to drive as far as the battery will last, then it works out to the equivalent of around 125 MPG.

Of course this car is expensive. All new technology is. The significance of this car is the underlying technology and how it can be adapted for future vehicles. GM hit it out of the park with the Volt.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So many engineers on Tom's - why didn't they do this or that. yawnAs to the cost to recharge at home, it's cheap. If you take the amount of electricity you will consume from your house (average rates across North America) to charge the Volt and compare it to how much fuel you'd have to buy (again, current average prices) to drive as far as the battery will last, then it works out to the equivalent of around 125 MPG.Of course this car is expensive. All new technology is. The significance of this car is the underlying technology and how it can be adapted for future vehicles. GM hit it out of the park with the Volt.[/citation]

The cost to plug in at home is low, the TCO is still quite high... and we will end up subsidizing the "incentives" that make cars like this a decent choice.

I'm all for advances in technology to fill a void, but manipulating a void to fit a technology is not going to help anyone (except the producers of that technology)...

seraphimcaduto

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
bunz_of_steel 12/03/2010 12:22 PM

great concept only for those who can afford $50,000 vehicle!X@ If I can afford that much money the cost of gas is bothering me ALL that much. Make the car affordable and you might have some buyes, friggin corporate weenies. Yeh and the battery replacement really suks and is going to make for a fantastic land fill some day.

um........try again on that price:
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt/

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Where the hell is the player's Full Screen button on Toms? I'm getting tired of having to click and watch on youtube in HD full screen.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]seraphimcaduto[/nom]bunz_of_steel 12/03/2010 12:22 PMgreat concept only for those who can afford $50,000 vehicle!X@ If I can afford that much money the cost of gas is bothering me ALL that much. Make the car affordable and you might have some buyes, friggin corporate weenies. Yeh and the battery replacement really suks and is going to make for a fantastic land fill some day.um........try again on that price: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt/[/citation]

If you think your gonna pay MSRP to get that car in your driveway your out of your peabrained mind. It's the new hotness *markup* it's a hybrid *markup! ask Prius drivers* Insurance is going to rape your wallet to insure a brand new first year model vehicle *moar money out of your wallet* Oh oh oh TAXES for TAGES *derrrrrrr*

50K to get a Volt and be able to LEGALLY DRIVE IT down the road is rather optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.