Voume Sliders...How True is this?

How true is this?

volumesliders.png

Comments Welcome

I'm thinking you are talking about the audio levels and not the actual display of the option.

Try playing around with combinations of speaker volume / Windows volume / and application volume settings. I think the level spike is coming from the interaction between those 3.

The way I have always read is best practice to control volume, is you set Windows to max, and adjust speaker volume to get the level you want. Like in a good tube guitar amp, you want it run at max or close to it to get that crunchy distortion sound, then you run that through another device to control the volume that comes out.

81duz1d0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
speaking of electronics, this is not true at all, given that the scale is linear, not a quasi-logarithmic one. But I do know that some developers use a somewhat different scale. Instead of adding a constant amount in the "volume", giving it a linear sequence (1,3,5,7,9 or something like that) they use a formula that computes the value to be add given the current "volume". This distorts the scale. I can't tell if a system works on either way, but I do know it happens sometimes. The only way to know is dragging it into a lab =D

(I'm a physicist, maybe I do that some day)

TRENDING THREADS