VPN for travel around the world

Lilly2

Estimable
May 14, 2015
I live in the Middle East, I need a VPN that works in my area, in Europe and in the US. I have tried several VPn apps, they do not seem to work (cannot connect). Does anyone use a VPN with wide access either free or not an expensive service? Tks.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Which services have you tried so far? Were they free or paid? What would you be able to budget for a vpn?

As far as a low cost VPN, my go-to is usually Private Internet Access. They're definitely one of the cheapest I know of, and highly rated by many of the reviews I've seen (from Torrent Freak, and Best VPN, for example). There are definitely many others with a high quality VPN service (most of which I focus on anonymity and security), and most of them are relatively cheap. One that I used to use (when it was originally free) is Froot VPN. They're definitely another low cost VPN solution, with a yearly subscription cost that comes to under $3 per month. Even when they were free, I never had a single problem with them; and I'm sure they are now a much higher quality VPN, as they originally had plans to expand into a much more stable operation. Oddly enough, my old account is still active with them, so I sent an email to see what's up.

If you have any particular needs from a VPN, I'd suggest checking out the reviews on from the links I posted, and contact the VPN providers directly; they will be able to help you out best.

Lilly2

Estimable
May 14, 2015

Thank you so much Skylyne. I am going to check both VPN apps you mentioned. $40 per year is not too expensive for me. I am just worried I won't be able to connect, which happened to me with 3 VPN apps. I talked to their Customer Service, one just sent an email that my free trial was over and could not get any other reply from them (Hotspots) except pay, one was extremely nice (TunnelBears) but they could not help, neither did the last one help (SurfEasy). So I am worried what will happen to my payment in case I cannot use the service . Anyway, I do appreciate your reply and will write again once I decide and buy one of the two you suggested.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Well, I do know that Froot VPN uses OpenVPN for their connectivity (though you can use a manual configuration in Windows, if you prefer). They give you options for different levels of security, and convenience. If you have any issues with the software connecting, then there's more than just emails you can use to troubleshoot connection issues with. I'm not entirely sure if Private Internet Access (PIA) is purely a proprietary software to connect, or not. I do know they have some great failsafes built into their software though, so definitely a good option.

As far as your payment for service, and possibly having connection issues, most of these security minded VPNs don't keep track of any records; this is for anonymity reasons, and user security. Many people don't want their VPN traced back to them, hence why a number of places accept bitcoin, and even gift card payments from retail stores. If you want a refund due to minimal connectivity, you're probably going to be SOL. Go ahead and ask before paying, but keep that in mind.

You may also have some other issues with getting a connection, which might be related directly to your computer. I don't know how you were connecting, what kind of networks you were using, and so on, but take that into consideration.

Lilly2

Estimable
May 14, 2015

Thank you so much for your help. As I am not that proficient with all the different technologies, I cannot, sadly, reply to any of your questions. But I will contact the VPN I choose and see what can be done about refund, if that will be necessary. By the way what are the letters SOL mean?
I do appreciate your patience.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
SOL- shit outta luck

And glad to help out. VPNs are something I always encourage using, no matter what you're doing. IF you use the right VPN, cyber threats are minimised, and you end up paying, on average, less than $7 per month for a safer browsing experience. Hard to beat that, especially when you can combine that with quality AV at a cheap price with Newegg's deals. You can easily get a good AV and a VPN, with a little shopping, for under $50 a year. It's a hard deal to turn down.

If you have any questions about other VPNs not on those lists, I can try to find something out about them.