VR now, or high-end 1440p?

matthughes64

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle on this decision, and I know it's only one I can make for myself, but I'm trying to decide between

A) 1440p G-sync (I'm currently thinking Acer xb271hu)
B) A VR system (rift or vive)

I currently use an ok Dell 24" 1080p IPS (u2414h), and game fairly regularly on it (an hour or so most days), and I'm running a GTX 970.

The way I see it is that the monitor will give me the best experience of current gaming as we know it, whereas VR will give me a totally new experienced, but slightly uncertain with a limited amount of highly-polished content. The sensible voice in my head says get the monitor now, and wait a year or two until I can afford VR and there is a wide range of polished content. The other voice in my head is saying get VR get VR get VR it looks super cool. I will get the opportunity to try VR when my house mate gets a Vive... and so I'm wondering if owning one myself would really take the experience much further since few of the current games are any more than demos.

So what would you guys do if you were in my position? Get a sick monitor worthy of my GTX 970, or get a VR headset and stick it out with the cheaper monitor for a couple of years? Do any of you own both/either right now? Which do you actually use more?

Many thanks for your contributions.

Solution
I think gaming at 1440p is your best bet. I feel 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming.
You can game in high detail and get good FPS with a single card solution.
I've been burnt more than once for being an early adopter of new tech.

I have a Asus MG279Q driven by a R9 390X and I couldn't be happier.
1440 for me.

Grugbug

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
I think gaming at 1440p is your best bet. I feel 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming.
You can game in high detail and get good FPS with a single card solution.
I've been burnt more than once for being an early adopter of new tech.

I have a Asus MG279Q driven by a R9 390X and I couldn't be happier.
1440 for me.

Solution

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
you cant compare the 2 since VR = "niche", only certain amount of games, and 1440p monitor would apply to all teh games, excluding some niche VR titles,

personally i would say jump to 1440p + quality, if you are on 1080p now, and either wait for later VR hardware so it gets better. or get 1440p now and get VR when you can afford after

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

if it can further help your decision i can tell you this, i saw the Acer xb271hu in action paired up right next to the 4k (XB321HK) since i was in doubt if i should make the jump to 4k all together
seeing the 2 in action, i decided to save up for Acer xb271hu, and i cannot wait unit it arrives, im giddy like a 5-yearold awaiting Xmas presents!

matthughes64

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Haha nice, I feel the same right now and I'm so close to just ordering one, but I think I might wait a little to be sure about my decision with a bit of thinking time :)

Grugbug

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016
You may run across a good deal if you wait. I had to jump on my monitor purchase.
I snagged a Asus MG279Q for around $400 US.
I won't be doing the VR scene for quite a bit.
I read where the VR units put a strain on the neck and I broke my neck a few years back so until the units are smaller I think I will pass.