VR Specs - Does my PC meet them?

RaidHobbit

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Hi All

I have i5-4690 and 8GB ram which looking at PC VR ready specs is okay. But I have concerns about my graphics card.

GTX 970 and it only has one HDMI socket that is connected to my monitor. Is that GPU okay? and do I need more than 1 socket.

Reviews I have seen indicate the HP mixed reality headset is better than Acer. What is the best in that kind of price range? Im not bothered about getting up and moving about in my room as the room is too small for that. But I want hand tracking not a gamepad one at the very least.

Solution
The GTX 970 is fine for VR. Current VR headsets do use an HDMI port, but you can just get an adapter from Displayport or DVI to HDMI. I'd recommend plugging the VR headset directly into the HDMI port and moving the monitor to the adapter.

In that price range, the HP headset is a good option for non-gaming use. For gaming, an Oculus Rift is still better. There's also the upcoming Samsung Odyssey, which should be the best of the Windows mixed reality headsets when it launches next month. As long as you're in North America; they won't sell it in Europe for some reason.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The GTX 970 is fine for VR. Current VR headsets do use an HDMI port, but you can just get an adapter from Displayport or DVI to HDMI. I'd recommend plugging the VR headset directly into the HDMI port and moving the monitor to the adapter.

In that price range, the HP headset is a good option for non-gaming use. For gaming, an Oculus Rift is still better. There's also the upcoming Samsung Odyssey, which should be the best of the Windows mixed reality headsets when it launches next month. As long as you're in North America; they won't sell it in Europe for some reason.

Solution