VR? What should I do/pick?

shiroBlank

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Recently, I picked up an extreme interest in VR. Games like VRChat and Space Pirates seem like it'll spark my losses motivation in gaming. So the question is should I wait for the next generation of VR Headsets, which I've heard might take awhile, or should I pick one up now, and if so which one should I pick up?

A bit more on my circumstances, as for my PC, I have a i7-6700k, GTX 1080ti, and 32Gb of DDR4 2133Hz, so hopefully I don't have to worry about that. Something that is a bit more of a pressing issue for me is space and money. I do not have slot of space to work with, and money is a bit tight for me right now. If I'm going to get the vive, I'll just be scraping by.

I was hoping to get a experts or someone with more knowledge than me, insight on this. Thank you very much for your time.

Solution

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I'm very happy with my Oculus Rift.
I've been play Doom VFR and Robo Recall the most.

I like the Oculus controllers more and I also like the Oculus head-strap more as well. (Yes, I've used BOTH Oculus and Vive)
I think after the Holiday's I'm going to buy Fallout 4 VR. Also may pickup Skyrim VR if it gets an official VR version for PC.
Also looking forward to the Half-Life 2 VR mod.

Both platforms will allow you to play each other's games.
Your PC is plenty powerful enough to play VR games.

Space is needed for SOME games while others can be played while simply sitting at a desk.

I typically setup plenty of space to play Robo Recall. But Rez VR I play while sitting as the game is not enhanced with the ability to move around.

If I have any criticism toward the current gen VR it's this:
1. The resolution is too low. (However that can only be as high as current hardware can handle. [Video cards need to improve.])
2. The external sensors need to be setup again if they are bumped or moved by mistake. (This is less of an issue for Vive because you can mount them to the wall.) The bottom line is that inside out tracking is the future of VR.

People that own Vive tend to claim that Oculus doesn't have room scale but try telling that to anyone who needs the whole room for Robo Recall.

Sakkura

Distinguished

You can mount Oculus sensors to walls too, or use other mounting points. I have one clamped to a shelf, for example.

The Oculus controllers are better. Maybe you're thinking of before the Touch controllers were launched? But that was a long time ago (over a year).

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

I highly disagree...
And many others do as well, that's why valve is working on new "Knuckles" controllers for the Vive.

And my comment about the head-strap... Well, there's a new head strap upgrade for the Vive as well.
I'm NOT alone in my opinions.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

You can't compare the vvie's 'knuckles' controller to the RIP's crap controllers. They retain everything great about the current controllers and expane upon them.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

Whatever you gotta tell yourself man. Obviously your a fanboy blindly supporting what you purchased.
I can point at things give thumbs up and all kinds of hand gestures that I bet you didn't even realize they could do.
Ignore this guy, read what Tom's had to say about the controllers.

"Controllers
Thanks to their respective controllers, the Vive and the Rift let you reach out and touch someone -- virtually. The Vive's controllers have a rather outlandish design -- like some sort of sci-fi ball-in-the-cup toy. Weird looks aside, the controllers offer a wealth of interaction via buttons, triggers and trackpads. However, the oblong Vive controllers don't lend themselves to native hand gestures.

The Oculus Touch controllers are an absolute revelation. Thanks to the positioning of the buttons and analog sticks, it feels like you're making a relaxed fist. From this position, the sensors tracked my fingers, allowing me to point or wave realistically. It wasn't much of a leap to make a fist or reach out and interact with something in-game. It's the only way I'll play Superhot VR, which involves lightning-fast reflexes for punching, dodging, grabbing, shooting and throwing.

Winner: Oculus Rift.Hands down (pun intended), the Oculus Touch controllers deliver the most realistic tactile performance in VR."

-TomsGuide.com
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive,review-3433.html

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Winner: Oculus Rift. Overall, the Rift's design is more polished and consumer-ready than the Vive. Having a built-in audio system is a huge plus. (LOL! The vive doesn't have a built in audio system? It does and teh ear buds are very nice.)

Winner: HTC Vive. Although the Rift is much cheaper, the Vive comes with everything consumers need. (Wait... Didn't this 'non-bias' review just imply the Rift has built in audio and the Vive doesn't?)

Winner: Oculus Rift. Although both headsets require high-end systems to operate, the Oculus' recent tech launches have lowered the bar significantly, making VR a possibility for scores of PC owners. (Yet another LOL moment. The system requirements come down to how optimized, demanding games are. Just because the vive calls for better hardware doesn't mean the RIP magically requires less hardware to push the same screen resolution in any significant way.)

Winner: HTC Vive. Once the Vive is ready, it takes only a few quick steps to get high-quality motion tracking up and running. (Nothing to add)

Winner: HTC Vive.The Vive's camera with its pass-through ability gives the headset a distinct advantage over the Rift. (nothing to add)

Winner: Oculus Rift.Hands down (pun intended), the Oculus Touch controllers deliver the most realistic tactile performance in VR. (Subjective. I've played with both and like the Vive's controllers more. Besides. This is taking into consideration certain types of games and ignores the fact the Vive's controllers are built to work with 'stocks' for games like onward.)

Winner: HTC Vive. Having the ability to answer texts or phone calls without removing the headset is a useful feature. ( IDC about this feature myself, but i'll admit it is cool.)

Winner: Oculus Rift. You'd expect Valve to have the upper hand when it comes to games, since it has a massive catalog of PC titles. But Oculus has a more formidable library. (Subjective. I did not like any of the games that came with my RIP)

So... A lot of subjective wins for the RIP and a lot of ignored facts and assumptions, but yeah... Lets go with a review that is bias at best. I mean. Just look at some of the other Tom's hardware reviews... And yeah... Lets assume I never recently owned both headsets just because I like the Vive. The salt is very here.

Solution