VSU Ratting Out Students Using P2P Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Well, the Cinematic Mod for Half Life is mostly downloaded with torrents. It is a perfectly legal download. So they will kick out the student anyway? That's fascism!

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I wouldn't put up with that. As soon as a school betrays it's students, it's time to transfer to another University.

G

load up some linux distros and share away... avoid any copyright works and wait for the expulsion and arrest... then call ACLU

G

Every student needs to start using p2p to download massive legal files and cripple their network with it. I would suggest DVD iso files of Linux Distros.

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
buuut there's a lot of legal p2p through torrents and such, despite if it's only a fraction of the content most people download but nevertheless, this is beyond ridiculous...

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Every student needs to start using p2p to download massive legal files and cripple their network with it. I would suggest DVD iso files of Linux Distros.[/citation]

I would so download 48,000 copies of Ubuntu just to piss them off.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Sorry, I disagree with most of you. It is the universities choice on how to handle the network they own. If a university refuses to give out information to the RIAA without a court order, I fully back them. However, I also fully back the university's right to monitor their own network and report any potential illegal activity.

Think of it this way: if a professor reported a group of students passing around what appeared to be guns in his lecture, would you fault the University for bringing in the police to investigate these illegal activities? Now, just because you believe the activity should be illegal doesn't make it so. Don't like the law, either break it in obvious protest and accept the consequences (and get as much media coverage out of it as you can) or change the law first.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I have a feeling that VSU will get a DDoS attack soon.

It really is up to them though how to handle their own network.
Just like it's up to the student body to rent one of the houses right next to campus, chip in for an optic line, and set up their own wireless internet free of the official campus networks.
They aren't being forced to use the school's monitored lines.

BTW if these kids are only d/ling legal torrents, there's nothing to be concerned with if they're just being turned over to the police. Using a P2P client isn't a crime and they won't be charged with anything. If the school is self disciplining them however just for using a torrent, that's a different matter.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Time to boycott this institution and I am a student my self. I don't pay up thousands of dollars a year to have these pricks causing problems with what I do online legal or not but it is the business of the students. They are not using the machines belonging to the school and it is the students who foot the bill to keep the dung heap in business in the first place. I have always hated school since it has stopped being a place of higher learning but is now a money farm for the corporations.

High school: ware many of your dreams and ambitions go to die.
College/University: ware you become a debt slave to the banks and the Federal Government.

The education system is a joke and is a pitiful one at that. Professors who don't know half of what they are talking about and the worst ones are ultra left provocateurs who only indoctrinate another generation into Marxism or push others further into ultra right nonsense. School sucks and tired of us students being treated as blood bags for the system.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Don't think this gets you out of repaying your loans, they'll be in default and after five years, you'll probably owe your total salary for life with all of the extra fees, and they can't be discharged by bankruptcy. Then there's the civil suit for thousands per violation.

Enjoy your lifetime of wage-garnished slavery for making a poor decision while also trying to better yourself.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Nice call MDillennbeck. Digital Media is so very analogous to guns.

Copyright infringement laws are flawed and most successful businesses realize this. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most business benefit from the existence of pirated digital media and P2P software/torrents.

On that note, the university is free to make whatever decisions(albeit bad ones) they want. I do not see the benefit to them.

steelyphil

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
@MDillen

You can't compare guns and music. The guns can be used to kill people, the music cannot. Also, what happens when they turn you over for downloading free unlicensed music or torrenting free files (hl2 mods as suggested before)? I would just torrent and p2p a bunch of legal stuff just so I'd be caught doing nothing wrong.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
So they call the police even if someone makes a legal download? How does this help the school? It's a sure bet their enrollment will decline, probably as early as next semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.