Wal-Mart Could Use Customers to Deliver Online Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I can just see the finger-pointing when something is delivered broken. I think this will be studied and then (wisely) forsaken in favor of their existing site-to-store model. If a customer doesn't have the means to pick up something (e.g. due to size/weight restrictions), it's almost certain it should be delivered by pros, not random strangers.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Just get the neighborhood ice cream truck to do the deliveries. How hard was it to come up with that?

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
This isn't actually being thought about, it's just Wal-Mart saying they might do something so people will talk about them and give them free advertising. There are so many things that could go wrong with this. Privacy of both parties, liability if something is delivered broken etc. The biggest I think is if someone that is delivering a package gets in a car accident, there are a bunch of liabilities there too. Who pays for it? Of course, knowing Wal-Mart (and all big companies), if they were to implement something like this, they would require any delivery drivers to sign a liability release.

griptwister

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
What a stupid ploy... I mean... It might work and all... but people are dishonest these days!!!

I, for one, am an honest person, but I would rather prefer a payment rather than a discount...

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
WalMart has enough employees that they can use them to deliver stuff on their way home, and just include the extra time and mileage as part of their regular pay. No extra third party liability, or theft risk above whatever the employee already represents.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i dont' shop at walmart... but if i did i wouldn't want a discount... but is they had a system li8ke this and said "hey we have a delivery to a house 3 doors down here's $5 if you'll take it to them and ge tthem to sign this/email us a photo or mail us back the signed copy i'd be glad to do it. heck if they paid enough people might actually be abel to work ust doing private delivery. interesting idea

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]danielravennest[/nom]WalMart has enough employees that they can use them to deliver stuff on their way home, and just include the extra time and mileage as part of their regular pay. No extra third party liability, or theft risk above whatever the employee already represents.[/citation]

What's the difference to me if the guy who delivers my TV is a random stranger, or a random stranger who is also a WAL*MART employee?

Like their 8 dollar an hour job is incentive enough to stop them from taking off with a pickup full of electronics.

DookieDraws

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I have an AWESOME idea for Wal-Mart...HOW ABOUT HIRING SOME FACKIN' CASHIERS TO WORK ALL THOSE EMPTY REGISTERS! I swear to God, every Wal-Mart I go into seems to have only 4 or 5 open registers at a time. I always end up standing behind some precious old lady who smells like hairspray and Bengay. Then, when it's finally her turn at the register, she then realizes she forgot the moisturizer for her 83-year-old husband's dry ballsack. Now, I have to stand there another 45 minutes while Pearl makes a moisturizer run for Barney's dry balls.

For God's Sake, just hire some cashiers, Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]DookieDraws[/nom]I have an AWESOME idea for Wal-Mart...HOW ABOUT HIRING SOME FACKIN' CASHIERS TO WORK ALL THOSE EMPTY REGISTERS! I swear to God, every Wal-Mart I go into seems to have only 4 or 5 open registers at a time.[/citation]

I've got an even MORE AWESOME idea: USE THE FACKIN' SELF CHECKOUTS!!!!!!

Draconian

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Walmart already has to pay for an item you buy online to be shipped to their store.

Seems like they would need to provide steep discounts in order to make it worth putting wear and tear on your car and using your own gas money.

bennie101

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Wow if walmart isn't cheap enough already that they are willing not to pay 5 bucks to 10 bucks to keep a customer happy when joe hick will drop it off for 2 bucks and if he drops it off at all wow walmart take your chances on that one I wouldn't!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Yea like I want some random walmart shopper showing up at my house to deliver something.... Next thing you know you're robbed. If you're not killed, the lawsuit against walmart would be the equivalent of hitting lottery.. I you kidding walmart? Sending your greaters to deliver it on the little electric scooters would be a better idea

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
lol discounts that it? no gas cards or mileage pay that you put on your car to deliver these packages? yeah what a dumb idea. i'm surprised they just don't make employees do it cause this is walmart we are talking about. they are a bunch of cheap asses when it comes to labor work. Just ask all those 12 year olds in Asia working to make their products for 50 cents an hour.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
I think it's a brilliant idea. Not all merchandise can be delivered by the shoppers. Not all shoppers are qualified to deliver anything at all. But enough of the crowd will be qualified and enough (small and light) items will be deliverable by the shoppers. With Walmart's volume, even a small percentage will cut down on a lot of shipping cost. The shoppers who deliver stuff get something. Watmart get something. Win-win for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.