Wal-Mart Ditches DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
"iTunes embeds personal information into the purchased file".

Now thats the thing to do. As it actually does make since.

crosshares

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I would say that its a better alternative over DRM, privacy advocates can't whine on that unless they share their music over p2p.

xxchocotacoxx

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Yeah, just make sure that if you allow your music to be played on anyone else's system that you erase your music (or trust them not to share it) when you leave. And make sure you don't lose any portable media devices, or even have them stolen, because if your music on it gets shared, you're probably screwed.

And I'm pretty sure that "I lost my iPod" wouldn't be a legit excuse since really anyone who has a file found on a P2P network, even if they put it there themselves, can say that and there's no way to prove they really did lose it or have it stolen.

Besides that, however, it could work...

Probability Zero: They should refund the money of folks that bought DRM-"protected" tunes, since they are losing those tunes.

More realistically, provide one-for-one swaps: if you bought the DRM version of the tune "Smashing Goblets," they let you download the MP3 version.

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Actually if your ipod is lost that would be a very good arguement. Although it would give them probably enough to check your computer/s, and if its clean you're probably gonna win. If your ipod *or anything* is stolen you could always be extra safe and file a report. Chance of you getting it back slim to none, but it would still be a nice way to cover yourself.

wahdangun

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
i hope gaming industri use the same methode, especialy EA they bitchin customer with their DRM. it's realy cool to buy a game without DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.