Wal-Mart Getting Fancy With New Electronics Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
To answer your question... "No." I feel guilty if I buy a soda from Walmart. If I bought a TV or a computer there, I'd lose sleep!

mrfisthand

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Wal Mart is picking up where Circuit city left off...you mean as a secondrate electronics store with ignorant customer service and faulty products?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]Wal Mart is picking up where Circuit city left off...you mean as a secondrate electronics store with ignorant customer service and faulty products?[/citation]

Nicely put.

I like to shop were it's cheap, and guess what, Wal-Mart isn't all that cheap in Canada...
I like dedicated shops for electronics anyways for better support.
I bought my current computer from a wholesale shop. They have provided me with all the service I needed at a damned cheap price.

Online owns Wal-mart anyways.

I will never buy a TV from Wal-Mart again...

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Wal-Mart gets their cheap prices by purchasing the stuff that didn't pass the QA checks by the manufacturers. The stuff usually works, but there's something wrong with it - either it's dinged or scratched, or the molding around the screen on the TV doesn't quite fit right - it could be any of a thousand things wrong that would make any respectable retailer reject the product. If you don't care about the aesthetics or perhaps minor glitches, then maybe buying from Wal-Mart is a good idea. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from them at all, even if they were the only retailers to carry what I want - I'd rather go without.

sharksman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I am not sure how a Blackberry Curve bought at Wal-Mart can be "faultier" than what you buy at a regular ATT outlet.

sharksman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Wal-Mart gets their cheap prices by purchasing the stuff that didn't pass the QA checks by the manufacturers.
Is that a fact or another myth?
Why would the manufacturers want to get stuck with a 3 yr warranty on something that is faulty by default, according to your conspiracy theory.

G

The average customer doesnt know anything about what makes good tv picture quality, ease of use, or how to hook things up. The average walmart employee doesnt know or care either. I'll stick with best buy. They price match walmart anyway.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I might buy from them if there was a great sale going on but I prefer online shopping 99.9%.

@asgallant

I know for a fact that they get the same products as the electronic outlets. The distro center I worked at received those supposedly "faulty" products and the truck drivers I spoke to had just left best buy... So I don't see how your theory bears any relevance.

sharksman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Oh it's so hard to hook up an HDMI cable from the TV to your blu-ray.
If you are getting your technical research done at the store, whatever that store might be, you already lost half the battle.
Do your research online and see if you can get a cheaper deal at the sotre. do not liten to any of the BS you are being serverd at the store .. period.
I have 2 TV's I got from Walmart in the last two years ( during their thanksgiving huge sales, and they work flawlessly, and they don't seem any faultier or "esthetically bad" compared to the one I bought at Magonlia ( the local "high end", extreme liberal approved store).
Oh yea ... and the Xbox I got from Wal-mart lasted longer than the one I got at Best Buy :), however it was $75 cheaper

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]Wal Mart is picking up where Circuit city left off...you mean as a secondrate electronics store with ignorant customer service and faulty products?[/citation]

If u want cheap, buy Newegg or tigerdirect.

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

Don't be a dick, I was a supervisor at one of the best performing CC's & my entire team was polite, knowledgeable & amazing. Just because your few bad encounters made you upset don't label everyone espoecially since a lot of us are unemployed right now.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I normally don't have anything good to say about walmart but I did buy a 27in RCA tube for $199 when i was in high school(2001) and its actually been a great TV worked flawlessly the whole time and the picture quality is prety good for TV of its age.

Cheap TVs aren't all bad if that's all you can afford at the time :p

And the more 1080p TVs that people buy the faster Blu ray prices will drop.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]smorales3[/nom]The average customer doesnt know anything about what makes good tv picture quality, ease of use, or how to hook things up. The average walmart employee doesnt know or care either.[/citation]
While this is true for the most part, I DO know what to look for in HDTV picture quality and electronics in general, and I did manage to find a good TV for a good price at Wal-Mart. Commodity items like DVD players are also not going to trip you up (if you avoid the Insignia badged ones). Not to mention the DVDs to play on them. And all that was true before they started expanding the electronics department.

iceqube

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
WalMart is a front for the Chinese government and military. All the products you buy there help support their expanding military. Since there will probably be a nuclear exchange between China and the U.S. sometime in the next ten years, I really do not want to give them any more of an edge than they have now. Hell, they practically own the U.S. economy now.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Never will i shop at Wal-Mart, and even if i somehow had to shop there, say if wal-mart hacks the server's of every other product selling company, which might happen some day anyways, i still wouldnt purchase a computer there, seeing as how they can sell things "cheaper" they can only do this because of the second rate built products. not to mention places like tigerdirect, newegg, and other such online retailers would still have wal-mart beat, in not only price but service and quality too. so in short, no i wouldnt buy computers from wal-mart :D

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]iceqube[/nom]WalMart is a front for the Chinese government and military. All the products you buy there help support their expanding military. Since there will probably be a nuclear exchange between China and the U.S. sometime in the next ten years, I really do not want to give them any more of an edge than they have now. Hell, they practically own the U.S. economy now.[/citation]

Holy crap,
How did a simple article about an electronics section attract such theories? Don't you have something better to spew about? I know my personal favorite because it's so down right rediculous is that Bill Gates is the antichrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.