Wal-Mart to Offer Contract-free Cell Phone Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Sounds like a pretty decient deal, if their coverage is good they might be on to something...all they need is to get badass phones and they are set.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
El_Capitan 10/15/2009 7:04 PM
Hide
Insert quote. Report --1+

Why "Straight Talk"? Are they trying to say other plans are "Gay"? I fold my hand to them.

I would say that other plans are.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Uh-oh. Looks like the phone giants will have to start charging humane prices now. No more gouging the masses with this kind of competition.

Okay, so the phones aren't great, but these prices are pretty nice compared to what Sprint was offering last year. Same plan for $100 per month and a 2 year contract. Ouch.

"Hello. Welcome to Wal-Mart. Get your sh*t and get out!"

G

Boost Mobile has a similar unlimited deal for $50/mth. Other pre-paid companies are coming up with unlimited plans as well. It's certainly a refreshing trend. Now they just need to let you use any compatible phone you want instead of limiting you to their mediocre selection.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I hope I can use my Verizon phone with the plan.[/citation]

[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]WALMART, BRING AN IPHONE WITH YOU AND BILD EXTRA DOORS TO YOUR WAREHOUSEAND I AM SURE YOU WILL BE HAPPY[/citation]

Even though the Walmart cell phone service uses Verizon's network it is NOT Verizon branded cell phone service. The two are completely separate. In other words this is not the same as the relationship between Boost Mobile and Sprint Nextel.

As for the iPhone, there will never, ever be a CDMA version since Verizon will never allow the phone on their network. Simply put, if you want an iPhone you have to have AT&T service. Thankfully Apple has FINALLY prevented jailbreaking. People should not be allowed to use phones from one carrier on a different carrier's network since this can cause major headaches on the carrier's network.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Even though the Walmart cell phone service uses Verizon's network it is NOT Verizon branded cell phone service. The two are completely separate. In other words this is not the same as the relationship between Boost Mobile and Sprint Nextel.As for the iPhone, there will never, ever be a CDMA version since Verizon will never allow the phone on their network. Simply put, if you want an iPhone you have to have AT&T service. Thankfully Apple has FINALLY prevented jailbreaking. People should not be allowed to use phones from one carrier on a different carrier's network since this can cause major headaches on the carrier's network.[/citation]

You are not in any place to tell someone how, when, or where to use their phones. Chances are Apple will get tired of screwing with AT&T's crap network and offer a CDMA and GSM phone. Hell, they might even offer a PCS(CDMA) phone for Sprint, if they are offered a better deal.

As far as "jailbreaking"...I will do whatever I wish with the phone I purchase. iPhone owners are paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars to own the damned phone and they have the right to do with it as they please. If I want to submerge it in water, dip it in concrete, light it on fire, or blow the phone up, I am within my legal right to do so.

I can install anything I want on the device, and I can alter the software already on the device. If you cannot deal with that, then I suggest that you quit being a little bitch "fanboy".

G

I pay verizon 45 a month per phone for no data and 900 minutes. Thank you wal-mart.

G

Hell yeah!!! I'm sure that they'll get more phones, but that is unbeatable. Kind of like what Virgin Mobile is doing, selling Sprint cellular service for half of what Sprint was selling it for, prepaid with no contract. Smart people were ditching Sprint for Virgin, plus Sprint has the most god-awful, annoying and harassing customer service in the industry, whereas Virgin has some of the best.

G

[citation][nom]chainsaw667[/nom]I pay verizon 45 a month per phone for no data and 900 minutes. Thank you wal-mart.[/citation]
Verizon just lost their ass on this one. As soon as this goes gold, I'm switching. I've been out of contract for a little over a year now, but if I can get unlimited everything much cheaper than I'm currently getting barely anything, I'm jumping head first.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
\/erizon seriously needs to get their $hit togeather. they suck. terribly. I wish it were companies with pricing plans similar to re\/ol and the ability to use ANY phone that were the rule rather than a locked down DRM ridden crap-network like \/erizon. The only good thing \/erizon e\/er did was fios...

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Sweet guess its finnnaly time for me to get a cell phone...Im 20 years old and have never had my own cell by choice..Mainly because I never had the luxery of my parents paying for my phone as a teenager so time I got a Job I didnt want to waist money on a cell phone when it could go twards games weed or PC parts.Looks like that 45 dollar plan fits my needs.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
This will be the first time I have ever shopped at Wal-Mart. My Verizon contract just happens to up for renewal ...

Now lets hope they don't cripple their phone like Verizon

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]As for the iPhone, there will never, ever be a CDMA version since Verizon will never allow the phone on their network.[/citation]
Ahhhh, but they do. It's just they are only sold in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.