Want Free iPhone 4 Case? There's an App for That.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
So I don't have the slightest clue on how some factory Apple contracted with can't pump out hundreds and thousands of these little plastic cases in a single day.

BUT, assuming there is some legit reason why Apple can't produce enough, I think it was rather smart of them to turn to other vendors for help.

Having said that, almost positive most people will be waiting forever anyway, as they will select the "Apple Bumper" for the sole purpose that it has the word "Apple" in it.

G

They need an App to tell them 'You are holding it wrong', not a new case!

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Yeah. Like White iPhone, Apple is having problems with manufacturing these high technology gadgets too.[/citation]

I predict the next Iphone 4 problem to be the white phones being an off-white color.

Steve Jobs: "They are white, you just aren't looking at it right!"

and

Steve Jobs: "Problem? What problem? Other phone companies phones aren't perfectly white either!"

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Get some Taiwanese manager to these factories stat. Workers will soon be working 80 hours a week making cases.

Too bad Apple is paying living wages and abides by human right standard.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
To download the iPhone app, and then use it, do you actually need a good signal to your phone?

Hope these poor iPhone 4 owners have an iMac or iBook to get on the internet with!! Poor folks!

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]To download the iPhone app, and then use it, do you actually need a good signal to your phone?Hope these poor iPhone 4 owners have an iMac or iBook to get on the internet with!! Poor folks![/citation]
Use WiFi!

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
they finally admit there is a flaw. they give everyone free cases. yet the hateful people on this site bash apple. ugh. wow. yah trolls!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]To download the iPhone app, and then use it, do you actually need a good signal to your phone?Hope these poor iPhone 4 owners have an iMac or iBook to get on the internet with!! Poor folks![/citation]
Or they can use Wifi, or they can use a Windows machine.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm not even taking a free case, I like the size of it as is. Invisible shield came up with a film that goes around the metal band. So you get protection and no antenna issue. Even though I wasn't having issues it still stuck in my head when I used it, now I don't even think about it. And it's also only $9.99.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]So they have to use their defective phone for another two months. Ouch.[/citation]

The worst part is that Apple will probably recall the phone by then and tell everyone who ordered a bumper that their not eligible for the recall.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
The phone's not defective.... the press is. This isn't a big deal. Anyone who thinks it is (A) doesn't have an iPhone or (B) hates Apple already.

Anandtech is the only site with an intelligent review on the phone. And these are hardcore PC guys: their verdict? It's better than any other smartphone on the market. The signal attenuates like any other phone - but a bit more. On the flipside, it holds a signal better than any other phone.

And no, calls do not drop if you just "touch" the spot. Maybe if you have a negative -121db signal, yes. But your Droid X won't even make a call at -121db. I can hold the phone in a death grip all day and not lose signal.

I don't want to say this is a NON-issue... but it is a silly issue. Apple isn't give away bumpers to fix the phone, it's to fix the ridiculous press.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom] it's to fix the ridiculous press.[/citation]
If it wasn't for the press you would paying $30 for a rubber band after you already spent hundreds of dollars on a factory defective phone. Or is that what they call "features" over in apple la-la land now...

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]they finally admit there is a flaw. they give everyone free cases. yet the hateful people on this site bash apple. ugh. wow. yah trolls![/citation]

That's because some of us are smart enough to know that crApple caters almost exclusively to hipster losers, many of them similar to you I would imagine. crApple could be exposed sacrificing babies, and you would still defend them.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]... calls do not drop if you just "touch" the spot. Maybe if you have a negative -121db signal, yes. But your Droid X won't even make a call at -121db. I can hold the phone in a death grip all day and not lose signal.[/citation]

Anandtech even stated that it loses about 19db from holding it normally, which is about 2x as much as other phones. So if you have anywhere below about -94db and you will likely lose the call assuming as Anandtech did, -113 is the worst possible signal strength you can maintain a call with.

So just because you can hold your phone all day and not lose the signal, doesn't mean other people with a weaker signal won't lose their calls. There are plenty of areas and scenarios that would cause your signal to drop below -94db and lose the call just from holding it. You probably won't lose your signal in a city, but rural areas with fewer towers that are farther apart are likely to have the most issues.

It's great that it holds calls better than other phones when not being held and all that, but this problem pretty much eliminates that advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.