Want to upgrade Headset to actual headphones, also need advice on Condenser mics.

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hey guys after hearing the quality difference between gaming specific headsets & headphones for more value for money, I now really want to invest in some awesome headphones, I currently have my eyes on these badboys: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397396488&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+hd+558
Anyway I currently have a sound card installed Asus Xonar D1: http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_D1/
however I have only recently received it knowing I would probably be upgrading from my current headset, of which is the Tactic 3d Sigma from creative: http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-tactic3d-sigma
The question I have is will I be able to plug these headphones straight into the Sound card and get the crisp sound I am looking for?
..and until I can afford a decent microphone, still keep the Sigma's around my neck to use the Mic.
Also for anybody who uses an actual desktop or condenser mic what is it like for picking up background noise? I live in a fairly noisy area, but if I keep my window closed It usually blocks out most of the sound.
Sorry for probably sounding like a bit of a noob.

Solution
the at2020 usb would not connect up to your soundcard but instead to a usb port on your computer.

what do you mean by audio interface? please specify.
if you live in a fairly noisy area you might not want open headphones like the ones you picked up. granted, open headphones have a wider soundstage but that means everyone else near you can hear what you're listening to and that you can hear everything around you as well. closed headphones are better for sound isolation.

for that budget i'd suggest taking a look at audiotechnica ath-m50s or beyerdynamic dt770

you should be able to use the soundcard you already have with the new headphones you purchase. its better than using the integrated on motherboard soundcard at least.

you probably want a cardioroid microphone which is very directional in terms of input. in this way you could eliminate alot of noise. i'd suggest looking at something like the audiotechnica at2020 usb if you want something good, the blue snowball if you want something pretty decent and moderately priced or a modmic or zalman clip on if you want something cheap. the at2020 is cardioroid and the blue snowball has a cardioroid mode you can turn on.

you can use your current headset for just the mic by only plugging in the mic cord temporarily

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

Thanks for the response, tbh I wouldn't say it was actually that noisy since I play during fairly quiet times and late night rather than in the morning when the seagulls are about, when I started researching mics the AT2020 was actually the one I had my eye on, however the sound card has not got a usb slot so I guess that means it's only for analog sound only? The only thing also is I would need an audio interface which seem to be quite expensive (haven't really had much time to research anything at all about them yet) and have no idea what to look for.

DaCrazyCageMan

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Im so confused I thought most condenser and cardioid mics required an audio interface, or does that not apply for usb types, meaning an audio interface is only applicable to the types of mics are analog or connect in any other way other than usb?
Edit: ok just realised there is a separate usb version of the AT2020 I saw.

the at2020 comes in two different models.

one which has a usb connection (which plugs directly into your computer) and one which has an xlr connector which you would want to use an audio interface with.

if you read some reviews here http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c75c5918ed57a8d0/ it appears that the users are having no problems plugging the usb model of the at2020 right into their computer and using it without any external devices.